[SOLVED] Best Laptops for dual-booting Mint & Windows 7?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danlucier

[SOLVED] Best Laptops for dual-booting Mint & Windows 7?

Post by danlucier »

My new employer will hopefully be buying me a laptop soon. Unfortunately, it needs to run Windows 7, but I already got permission from IT to partition it and dual-boot Linux. So, I am trying to determine which laptops have hardware with good driver support for Linux Mint but will also come with Windows 7. I need to be able to use wifi, webcam, and mic with with reliable drivers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Best Laptops for dual-booting Mint & Windows 7?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As far as hardware compatibility, you can check the Mint Community site database (http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search ). There are currently 55 pages at 20 entries per page for "Laptop/Notebook" and 11 pages (not all duplications) for "Laptop". The entries are color coded the darker green entries are the most compatible.

If you are not registered on the Community site, you will need to register. It is no more difficult than registering on the forum.
ilovesoad

Re: Best Laptops for dual-booting Mint & Windows 7?

Post by ilovesoad »

Lenovo seems to have the best ootb compatibility with linux distros. I however have almost everything working ootb on my asus lappy, only alsa cons file needing edited to get headphones working. Go intel and nvidia. Just my personal opinions.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ilovesoad on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
danlucier

Post by danlucier »

Thank you. I ended up going with a Lenovo Thinkpad (mostly because it was within the allocated price range). I was a little concerned about the Intel HD 3000 video card but I gather drivers for Intel cards have improved in recent years. Here's hoping. Thanks again for the input.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”