LXDE enable compiz or compositing

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flebber

LXDE enable compiz or compositing

Post by flebber »

I need to enable compositing but i cannot find how the top search result was this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&p=46283, howev er when I go to system tools I canot find a configuration editor option to enable compositing.

Is this different in LXDE 11?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LXDE enable compiz or compositing

Post by Pjotr »

Not a direct answer to your problem, because I don't know the answer. But I'd like to mention the following:

LXDE is meant for being lightweight and agile. Compiz is far from that. It's a resource hog. Installing Compiz in LXDE, more or less defeats the purpose of LXDE.... Using Compiz in LXDE is like pulling a caravan with a Suzuki Alto.

So I'd advise you to reconsider Compiz in LXDE. Compiz is fine in a big fat desktop environment like Gnome, that's it's natural habitat. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
flebber

Post by flebber »

Well is there another compositing manager more suited to LXDE.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can use "xcompmgr". This is the basic X server compositing manager and will work on LXDE. It is available in Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager. For full installation and activation instructions, see this post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... gr#p421149
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Another consideration: [understatement mode] compositing isn't exactly famous for adding stability to your system [/understatement mode]. In fact, compositing is "the usual suspect" for a wide range of common display problems.

Compiz.... First thing I do in a Gnome based distro, is disabling the bloody bugger. :evil:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mrachni

Post by mrachni »

xcompmgr did cos some trouble in my system so i tried compiz. Could be my problem using nvidia drivers and openbox. Nvidia 173 is stable bat slooow... Compiz works fine, its a bit slower than openbox but nothing serious.
You just need to install it from synaptic or apt-get. Compiz icon is also recommended. Just now that emerald is not working. Use GTK decorations. You can edit them from GNOME Configuration Editor. ETC

After some time i got bored. It probably still works but openbox is sufficient for my needs.
AcidShAwk

Post by AcidShAwk »

in your ~/.config/lxsession/Mint-LXDE/desktop.conf change the 'openbox' command to 'compiz ccp'

apt-get install compiz and the plugins you want and youre good to go.

as for compiz not being stable.. upgrade your hardware.. its pure candy on my machine.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

flebber wrote:Well is there another compositing manager more suited to LXDE.
How about the Cairo Composite Manager?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Why don't you like Openbox? It is very stable and easy to adjust: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#3
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

In my experience, openbox is inferior to metacity (of gnome 2.xx) when it comes to one point : playing games in fullscreen with wine.
Openbox in this case gives with artefacts and slowesness...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”