[SOLVED] Program added to Startup Applications doesn't

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwatson512

[SOLVED] Program added to Startup Applications doesn't

Post by kwatson512 »

I installed Desktop Drapes to get rotating backgrounds. In the program's preferences you can check to have it start on login, which I did. I then opened up Startup Applications to double check that it was included there, which it is. But it does not start on login. It works fine when I manually start it.

Running Mint 11 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420s laptop (quad Intel i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Program added to Startup Applications doesn't

Post by xenopeek »

This is a recurring issue with Desktop Drapes, and I'm baffled why that team doesn't include a fix. It has been an open issue for the past 4 years (https://bugs.launchpad.net/drapes/+bug/292051), and still everybody has to manually find this solution :(

1. From the Desktop Drapes' preferences, disable the start on login.
2. Go to Startup Applications and confirm it is removed
3. Add a new entry, give it name "Start Desktop Drapes" (or whatever you want) and command:

Code: Select all

sh -c "sleep 20 && drapes &"
This should start Desktop Drapes with a 20 second delay.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Vincent,

Thank you! Any reason you picked 20 seconds? I changed it to 10 and it seems to work fine.

Ken
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kwatson512 wrote:Vincent,

Thank you! Any reason you picked 20 seconds? I changed it to 10 and it seems to work fine.

Ken
Whatever works :wink: It needs to delay past loading all the other startup applications; if 10 seconds is enough, that's fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”