LMDE Kernel Panic on Live USB (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
driekus

LMDE Kernel Panic on Live USB (Solved)

Post by driekus »

Hi All,
Since the update in LMDE to a SandyBridge compatible kernel I decided to give it a try.
Im running a Lenovo X220T with a core I7 processor and I dont have a DVD drive.
I used Lili to create a USB drive with the latest version of LMDE 64Bit on it.
However when I boot, it seems to go ok and I get past the first 10 second count, but then at the end I get a kernel panic. Im not sure how to capture the text that comes up on the screen to give more information. Does anyone have any idea on how to get around this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE Kernel Panic on Live USB

Post by xenopeek »

Ouch, I saw you already got redirected from the Lenovo forum. Nice guys :? I thought they had a good rep for Linux compatibility...

There are three things you can try:
1. During the countdown timer at boot, press a key. Then select "Check the integrity of the DVD" and hit enter.
2. If that is all fine, select "Start Linux Mint (compatibility mode)" and punch enter. (The hitting and punching is all stress relief.)
3. If that still doesn't boot, take a digital photo of the error and post (a readable) picture here.
driekus

Post by driekus »

Screenshot.jpg
Very wierd, when I try check file system integrity it starts linux mint.
I managed to get a screen shot though
anmys

Post by anmys »

I have also faced this problem. I get a similar kernel panic when I boot off the iso on an USB drive. I am attaching the screen capture.
mint-fail.jpg
Hope this gets resolved as I dislike the idea of burning cd/dvd's.

Regards.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, important to note that no files are actually missing (despite the error). The kernel panic you get because the init processes on the line before it can't open the file /scripts/casper, and it tries to exit. The init process is the parent process of all other processes, so if it exits that is bad. Hence the kernel panics. There was a bug reported on this, but I suspect the problem is you have used Lili. I suggest you use UNetbootin instead to create a Live USB.

The bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/636798. But I put that here just for future record, should the UNetbootin not solve your issues.
driekus

Post by driekus »

Im guessing for Unetbootin I should use Debian Testing_Hdmedia_x64?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure what you are asking; I created the USB by starting UNetbootin, put the checkmark next to Diskimage, selected the ISO I already downloaded and clicked OK.
driekus

Post by driekus »

I meant for the distribution selection. It asks you to select what distribution and version you are using.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

driekus wrote:I meant for the distribution selection. It asks you to select what distribution and version you are using.
Sorry, it doens't ask on mine. I checkmark Diskimage, I select the ISO, I click OK, then it installs everything without further questions.
driekus

Post by driekus »

Problem solved. If I use Unetbootin on linux mint I get a working LMDE USB disk.
Had a play around with it and found it super speedy, even on a usb drive.
Thanks for all the help, reinforces the other reason I chose Linux Mint. The community is the absolute best. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE Kernel Panic on Live USB (Solved)

Post by xenopeek »

Great :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”