LMDE daily build ISOs

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hsngrms

LMDE daily build ISOs

Post by hsngrms »

Daily builds have big advantages. Issues found rapidly, feedbacks are beneficial.

Why LMDE developer team ignore this. Is this too hard to make or what?

p.s: If developers' replies are negative, I will start a signature collection campaign (signature= name & e-mail) :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TomRoche

Re: LMDE daily build ISOs

Post by TomRoche »

hsngrms wrote:Daily builds have big advantages
True, but ISOs are big files: dailies would consume lots host space and bandwidth.
hsngrms

Post by hsngrms »

TomRoche wrote:
hsngrms wrote:Daily builds have big advantages
True, but ISOs are big files: dailies would consume lots host space and bandwidth.
Is Linux Mint 4. (fourth) most widely used operating system or have i wrong information ? :cry:

Must have a huge server already.
Last edited by hsngrms on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

hsngrms wrote:Daily builds have big advantages. Issues found rapidly, feedbacks are beneficial.

Why LMDE developer team ignore this. Is this too hard to make or what?

p.s: If developers' replies are negative, I will start a signature collection campaign (signature= name & e-mail) :P
I would recommend volunteering one of your servers as a compilation server to create the daily ISO builds. Then, upon establishing the compiling server, you could code an auto-compiling engine that would grab all the files from the source code and build the ISOs every night at a specific time. Then, upon completion of each build, you could create a changelog that details the updates made to the source in plain english, so that the users can understand the reason for updating their operating system.

If that sounds like too much work ... you can always start a forum thread asking arrogantly why other people haven't done it yet.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

hsngrms said
Is Linux Mint 4. most widely used distro or have i wrong information ? :cry:

Must have a huge server already.
You have incorrect and out of date information. Linux Mint 4 reached end-of-life and lost all support over two years ago. The current version of Linux Mint is Mint 11 and it is not the most widely used distro - that would be Ubuntu.

Also, Mint must depend on third party servers and mirrors to distribute their .iso files. Loading these servers with daily builds of two Debian based and four Ubuntu based versions would not be appreciated by the server owners and maintainers.

As to creating daily builds, if the Mint development team was the size of the teams Microsoft has working on Windows, it might be feasible to make daily builds every night.

The current Mint development team is 4 people, only one of whom devotes full time to Mint. The others all must work for a living outside of Mint and do development work in their off time. With this small team, clem puts out 6 versions of Mint every six months or so. I think you can understand why daily builds are not a priority.
hsngrms

Post by hsngrms »

Aging Technogeek wrote:hsngrms said

You have incorrect and out of date information. Linux Mint 4 reached end-of-life and lost all support over two years ago. The current version of Linux Mint is Mint 11 and it is not the most widely used distro - that would be Ubuntu.

Also, Mint must depend on third party servers and mirrors to distribute their .iso files. Loading these servers with daily builds of two Debian based and four Ubuntu based versions would not be appreciated by the server owners and maintainers.

As to creating daily builds, if the Mint development team was the size of the teams Microsoft has working on Windows, it might be feasible to make daily builds every night.

The current Mint development team is 4 people, only one of whom devotes full time to Mint. The others all must work for a living outside of Mint and do development work in their off time. With this small team, clem puts out 6 versions of Mint every six months or so. I think you can understand why daily builds are not a priority.
OK. I understand.

But
4. isn't 4
4. is fourth
;)

1. Windows
2. Mac OS
3. Ubuntu
4. Linux Mint

My fault is saying "distro", correct locution="operating system"

And, only want Debian-based daily builds, not other 4 Ubuntu-based...
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

hsngrms wrote:
Aging Technogeek wrote:hsngrms said

OK. I understand.

But
4. isn't 4
4. is fourth
;)

1. Windows
2. Mac OS
3. Ubuntu
4. Linux Mint

My fault is saying "distro", correct locution="operating system"

And, only want Debian-based daily builds, not other 4 Ubuntu-based...
While I'm certain the grammarians of the audience greatly appreciate the clarification you just provided regarding your use of the term 4 and distro, I believe the more prevalent issue you should concern yourself with is the remainder of that post's content.

Just because you want it and assume it should be done doesn't mean it can or will be done. Hence, my recommendation to volunteer to provide those services yourself. Its harder than just pouting about what you want, but certainly more likely to be accomplished.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but given what you originally typed, it is understandable, I think.
hsngrms

Post by hsngrms »

I received more negative response than I expected.

First; i will discuss your replies with our project leader and local teams/members. Later; maybe i contact with Clem, maybe i feedback to this topic.

Thanks for replies.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

hsngrms wrote:Is this too hard to make or what?
Looks like the answer to this is "Yes." Unfortunately. No matter how many people use Mint (I think it's quite debatable whether or not Mint is the "fourth most widely used operating system"), daily build ISOs might be beyond the capabilities of the Mint team at this time, due to the reasons Aging Technologies mentioned.

It would be nice if there were daily build ISOs for LMDE, though.

By the way, while I had to stop for a quick second to think about what hsngrms was saying, it was clear to me that he wasn't referring to "Linux Mint 4" here:
hsngrms wrote:Is Linux Mint 4. (fourth) most widely used operating system or have i wrong information ?
He was, after all, asking a question about LMDE in the original post. Understandable that it was misinterpreted, though. Happens.

Return to “LMDE Archive”