Firefox 6 on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kajan

Firefox 6 on LMDE

Post by kajan »

I am new to LMDE, have been on Ubuntu for quite a while. ...so maybe there is something i dont get yet. But why has not Firefox 6 come to the repos, it's now six days since the official release from Mozilla.

To be able to have the latest versions of all applications was one of the reasons I decided to go for LMDE. I really like the idea of a rolling distribution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Firefox 6 on LMDE

Post by ThistleWeb »

Debian Testing tends to be slower to get new updated versions of applications. Mozilla have a branding condition to their use which Debian doesn't do, so it has to use the unbranded Mozilla applications. Look for Iceweasel (Firefox) & Icedove (Thunderbird) instead.
kajan

Post by kajan »

I've been aware of that circumstance for a while. But I thought that LMDE would take care of that and brand it for me (us)!
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Debian has been very slow about updating Iceweasel in the testing repos. Until very recently, the version available was still in 3.6.* branch. I get my updates from the http://mozilla.debian.net/ repository, which updates much more quickly, and if you are of the inclination to use the latest and greatest, they package beta and aurora builds along with the stable releases.
kajan

Post by kajan »

gavinhc wrote:Debian has been very slow about updating Iceweasel in the testing repos. Until very recently, the version available was still in 3.6.* branch. I get my updates from the http://mozilla.debian.net/ repository, which updates much more quickly, and if you are of the inclination to use the latest and greatest, they package beta and aurora builds along with the stable releases.
Great gavinhc I will try that! Thank you!
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

The way some distros handle updating Mozilla's products (i.e. NOT) was a serious disappointment several years ago, so I switched to the tarballs provided by Mozilla itself and never looked back. You only need to set things up once. After that, updating is simply a matter of unpacking the archive in the same location.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

grizzler wrote:The way some distros handle updating Mozilla's products (i.e. NOT) was a serious disappointment several years ago, so I switched to the tarballs provided by Mozilla itself and never looked back. You only need to set things up once. After that, updating is simply a matter of unpacking the archive in the same location.
That's what I do in Crunchbang for both Firefox and Thunderbird. The downside is that you need to manually create the launcher for both and they won't stay updated along with the rest of your system.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

ThistleWeb wrote:The downside is that you need to manually create the launcher for both and they won't stay updated along with the rest of your system.
True, but you only have to create the launcher once and at least I don't have to wonder how many days/weeks/months it's going to take this time before the new version shows up (if at all). I admit that was with Ubuntu originally, but LMDE isn't particularly quick either. If http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Debian is correct, the repo's Firefox is currently at 5.0 and Thunderbird at an almost unbelievable 3.1.7!

I have both Firefox and Thunderbird set to warn me when a new version becomes available. The whole process of visiting the site, downloading the tarball and unpacking it in the correct location usually takes less than a minute.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Iceweasel 6.02 final is in the Debian Unstable repository. A beta of Iceweasel 7.0 is in the Experimental repository.

Return to “LMDE Archive”