LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vincent

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - read here first-10/

Post by vincent »

Gerd50 wrote:Upgraded virtualbox Oracle ubu lucid version 3.2.8 to natty version 4.0.6 today. It's working well. Some might cry, uhh, a
ubu package... but i'm not a friend of vb, use it very seldom and will find a solution if this one is giving up :)
Why use a vbox packaged offered by Ubuntu when you can get updates directly from the upstream Virtualbox developers through their own repository? Add...

Code: Select all

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib non-free
...to /etc/apt/sources.list, and then:

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.1
nykur

Post by nykur »

desmadre wrote:

#/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: command not found
Actually I have to second viking777's words. What I failed to mention earlier is that I'm using the Oracle non-free version from this repo:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib non-free
I just thought that these commands would also work for the ose version and the difference had only to do with usb support via binary blobs or something, but I admit I know very little about this.

I like to think since I use so few non-free packages, the Church of Emacs will forgive me this sin in the end if repent somehow;-) So, like viking777 suggested, I would give the non-free version a try, unless you want to be able to look rms in the face;-) vincent has outlined the method pretty precisely in the previous post.

One last thougt; you could have a look in the etc/init.d/ directory to see if perhaps the vboxdrv setup program is present in the ose version, but named differently. Maybe some letters are capitalized or it has a different name. Just a suggestion though, I have not looked into it myself as I took the easy (low) road myself...
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

My desktop (theme?) got messed up -- my icons look more like Fedora than Mint.

mintMenu's "Appearance" launcher (gnome-appearance-properties) gives me a popup:
Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with DBus, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.
So:

$ gnome-settings-daemon 
(gnome-settings-daemon:11726): libnotify-WARNING **: you must call notify_init() before showing
libnotify:ERROR:notification.c:568:notify_notification_show: code should not be reached
Where do I start debugging?

$ grep 'libnotify' /var/log/dpkg.log 
2011-08-17 01:25:37 install libnotify4 <none> 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:25:37 status half-installed libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:25:38 status unpacked libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:25:38 status unpacked libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 upgrade libnotify-bin 0.5.0-2 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 status half-configured libnotify-bin 0.5.0-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 status unpacked libnotify-bin 0.5.0-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 status half-installed libnotify-bin 0.5.0-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 status unpacked libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:26:13 status unpacked libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:22 configure libnotify4 0.7.3-2 <none>
2011-08-17 01:27:22 status unpacked libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:22 status half-configured libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:23 status installed libnotify4 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:29 configure libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2 <none>
2011-08-17 01:27:29 status unpacked libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:29 status half-configured libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2
2011-08-17 01:27:30 status installed libnotify-bin 0.7.3-2
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Installing virtualbox 4.1.2 from Oracle's repo worked for me. I did need the extension pack for USB 2.0.
nykur wrote:I like to think since I use so few non-free packages, the Church of Emacs will forgive me this sin in the end if repent somehow;-) So, like viking777 suggested, I would give the non-free version a try, unless you want to be able to look rms in the face;-)
I know I'm not invited to his birthday party. I call it UNIX. :lol:
desmadre

Post by desmadre »

after reading over the various responses and doing some digging, i ultimately removed virtualbox, virtualbox-dkms, virtualbox-ose, virtualbox-qt in synaptic.

executed these commands:

apt-get install linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64
apt-get install virtualbox-ose
it then configured all of the kernel modules automatically.

i can now run some evil proprietary software in a virtual machine instead of booting to the evil proprietary operating system which came with my laptop. fortunately enough, my local church of nano isn't so judgemental.

lastly, as a general rule i don't follow people who wear fanny packs.

thanks for all the help folks!
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

vincent wrote:

Why use a vbox packaged offered by Ubuntu when you can get updates directly from the upstream Virtualbox developers...
In the beginning of my LMDE journey i tried out some ubuntu pks. Until now for example i prefer Google Earth from the 5 series
as a ubu lucid package. VBox was nearly forgotten until i started it yesterday. I got the message, newer package available and
found it in synaptic. All i had to do was a package upgrade.

But thanks for your hint, i'll try it :)
Last edited by Gerd50 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

desmadre wrote:after reading over the various responses and doing some digging, i ultimately removed virtualbox, virtualbox-dkms, virtualbox-ose, virtualbox-qt in synaptic.

executed these commands:

apt-get install linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64
apt-get install virtualbox-ose
it then configured all of the kernel modules automatically.
I also had problems with virtualbox-ose on the new kernel. It seems dkms was not building the driver module properly or at all. Removing and re-installing as desmadre suggests fixes it and when virtualbox-ose is re-installed, the module gets built. I already had the 3.0 headers installed, but did a "--re-install install" just to be safe. After re-installing virtualbox-ose, all of my existing vms etc were there as before, so DO NOT use the "--purge" option or you may lose your configurations.
mads

Post by mads »

feffer wrote:I also had problems with virtualbox-ose on the new kernel. It seems dkms was not building the driver module properly or at all...
Hi! I guess all dkms-related modules were messed up after the kernel upgrade. For me it was ndiswrapper and fglrx kernel-modules.

@Edit - To be more precise:
fglrx module: It is loaded but suspend and hibernate which were working fine before kernel upgrade are not working now.
ndiswrapper: Wireless didn't work after kernel upgrade. It turned out that DKMS had not built ndiswrapper (modprobe ndiswrapper > FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found).
I had to run these to fix the issue:

sudo dkms build -m ndiswrapper -v 1.56+r2729 -k 3.0.0-1-686-pae
sudo dkms install -m ndiswrapper -v 1.56+r2729 -k 3.0.0-1-686-pae
Last edited by mads on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nykur

Post by nykur »

desmadre wrote: i can now run some evil proprietary software in a virtual machine instead of booting to the evil proprietary operating system which came with my laptop. fortunately enough, my local church of nano isn't so judgemental.

lastly, as a general rule i don't follow people who wear fanny packs.

thanks for all the help folks!
Well, as long you stay away from vi, vi, vi, the editor of the Beast;-) Glad you have Virtualbox up and running now:-)
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

mads wrote:
feffer wrote:I also had problems with virtualbox-ose on the new kernel. It seems dkms was not building the driver module properly or at all...
Hi! I guess all dkms-related modules were messed up after the kernel upgrade. For me it was ndiswrapper and fglrx kernel-modules.
Seems it was hit or miss. I had no problem with my nvidia-dkms (280.13), but I see lots of others did.
gazza

Post by gazza »

Graphics: Card nVidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] X.Org 1.10.3 Res: 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13
No issues with nvidia here at all, I'm updated as of yesterday, I tend to update once a week, when the kernel updated to 3, my nvidia driver updated from 275 to the 280 no issues. I do have the vbox issue, but I am not a regular user of vbox so will wait for it to sort itself out up stream. I did have an issue with the cam not being seen by skype for a month there, but the last weeks updates fixed that issue. Just thought some people would like to know my experience with the 201101 64bit build. Soon I'll experiment with the RC respin on my spare computer, I'm guessing soon that there will be variations between the generic debian testing branch of lmde and the latest that uses Mint repo's (if it is using such now, I'm yet to install the respin and see what is different).

just a suggestion in the future, when stating any problems it would be a good idea to say I'm using the '201108 respin' or the 'original' spin. May lead to quicker trouble shooting...
ChromeMukuro

Post by ChromeMukuro »

Im having sound issues. Sound will only play through my USB headset. Im not sure what's causing that to be the case. I checked all audio settings offered through the volume control widget in the panel.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
mads

Post by mads »

ChromeMukuro wrote:Im having sound issues. Sound will only play through my USB headset. Im not sure what's causing that to be the case. I checked all audio settings offered through the volume control widget in the panel.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
You may refer to this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79840
Vermind

Post by Vermind »

I also have the issue with gnome-settings-daemon:

(gnome-settings-daemon:12678): libnotify-WARNING **: you must call notify_init() before showing
libnotify:ERROR:notification.c:568:notify_notification_show: code should not be reached

I just changed the xorg.conf file for the nvidia driver, and after that it appeared. I installed some updates yesterday as well.
Vermind

Post by Vermind »

Hello,
I have fixed the gnome-settings-daemon issue. It turns out that the xrandr plugin forgot to call notify_init().
Here is a fixed gnome-settings-daemon deb file for 64-bit LMDE users. You can install it by opening it with the package installer or with

sudo dpkg -i gnome-settings-daemon_2.30.2-4_amd64.deb

If you do not use the 64-bit, here are the instructions:

apt-get source gnome-settings-daemon
cd gnome-settings-daemon-2.30.2
gedit plugins/xrandr/gsd-xrandr-manager.c
and add the line:

notify_init ("gnome-settings-daemon");
after line 910.
then do

sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-settings daemon
debuild
cd ..
sudo dpkg -i gnome-settings-daemon*deb
and you should be done.
tzunder

Post by tzunder »

This morning 29 Aug I tried to install handbrake-gtk on a fresh 08 2011 LMDE 32 bit Gnome install.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
handbrake-gtk : Depends: libnotify4 (>= 0.7.3) but it is not installable

I also tried to install dvdrip

dvdrip : Depends: transcode (>= 2:1.0.2-0.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: ffmpeg but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: subtitleripper but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

I then tried mencoder:

mencoder : Depends: libasound2 (> 1.0.24.1)
E: Broken packages

Please advise how I can help fix this problem.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

This mornings update (29th) gave me foomatic-db-engine as an update but it conflicts with the installed version of cups so I didn't install it.

foomatic-db-engine: Breaks: cups (< 1.5.0-3~) but 1.4.8-2 is installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:                              
1)      cups                                                      
2)      cups-driver-gutenprint                                    
3)      cups-pdf                                                  
4)      hplip                                                     
5)      hplip-cups                                                
6)      hplip-gui         
If anyone is desperate for a new foomatic-db-engine the later version of cups is available in Sid - personally I don't think I will bother.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

libnotify4 (>= 0.7.3) but it is not installable
That is nonsense. libnoitfy4 is perfectly installable, I have it installed.

Try and install it on its own and see why it says it can't be done.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

The message i got with this mornings update (29th) was:

The following pks are kept back
foomatic-db-engine, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

libnotify4 installed without an error message.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Gerd50 wrote:The message i got with this mornings update (29th) was:

The following pks are kept back
foomatic-db-engine, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

libnotify4 installed without an error message.
How strange, gstreamer is not even offered as an upgrade for me, - I have version 0.10.18-3. Or maybe you are using a different server. (I use the Main server).

Return to “LMDE Archive”