Mint install fails to install packages [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
graeme

Mint install fails to install packages [solved]

Post by graeme »

Clicking the install button in Mint Install does nothing.

Running from the command line resulted in this error:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/defer.py", line 550, in _inline_callbacks
    result = gen.send(result)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/client.py", line 1001, in _run_transaction_helper
    tid = dbus_method(*args, timeout=86400)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 143, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.143'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/aptd_client.py", line 13, in <module>
    transaction = aptd_client.install_packages([package])    
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/defer.py", line 510, in _deferable
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/errors.py", line 151, in _convert_dbus_exception
    raise get_native_exception(error)
aptdaemon.errors.AuthorizationFailed: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name':  ':1.143'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.139 was not provided by any .service files
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 120, in run
    current, pending = self.apt_daemon.GetActiveTransactions()
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.139 was not provided by any .service files
A problem occured but the transaction loop was kept running
I have also been unable to use the services-admin except by starting it from the command line with sudo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
graeme

Re: Mint install fails to install packages

Post by graeme »

Its not just these. Its every GUI that requests admin while running.

i.e. Synaptic is OK (it asks for admina t the start), but nm-connection-editor will only work if run with sudo (otherwse chagnes are not saved), ditto user management, etc.
thorbs

Post by thorbs »

I believe I have the same error on a fresh install of LMDE. When I use the softwaremanager, nothing happens when I select software to install.
thorbs

Post by thorbs »

For some reason the feautured category works but not the rest.
graeme

Post by graeme »

I think you have a different problem from mine, as I cannot install anything.

Could you try running it from the command line and post the output back here to compare it? The command is just mintinstall
thorbs

Post by thorbs »

yes I think my problem mightb be different. Now the software manager is every so often crashing as well.
mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:250: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:258: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 31.024 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.420 ms
add_packages took 6359.597 ms
add_reviews took 761.530 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:525: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
wTree.get_widget("main_window").show_all()
__init__ took 19164.532 ms
show_category took 942.891 ms
Overwriting reviews file in /home/thorbjørn/.linuxmint/mintinstall/reviews.list
update_reviews took 386.386 ms
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
**keywords)
message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.80 was not provided by any .service files
**keywords)
message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.80 was not provided by any .service files
graeme

Post by graeme »

It looks related to me: you are gettting a different Dbus Error further up, but we are both getting ServiceUnknown at the end of the trace.

I wonder if its a Dbus misconfiguration rather than a MintInstall error per-se

It might be better to just forget about MintInstall see: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=76270
thorbs

Post by thorbs »

Yes I think you are right, thanks for the sharp observation. And I can see I have the same bugs as the rest, so the best thing to do is probably, as you suggest, not to use the software center untill, it gets improved.
graeme

Post by graeme »

I have solved it.

The problem was that the Policykit Authentication Agent, which should be in startup application and enabled, has the wrong command line. It should be:

/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
That solved it for me, and I have my first software from the software centre installing now.

@thorbs, let me know if it works for you.

I still have the problem with regard to some admin GUIs (gdmsetup, for example): again it is a Dbus problem.
graeme

Post by graeme »

I found a very similar problem (which I am also experiencing now) which suggests that LMDE cannot cope with users keeping their /home . I assume the problem is per user settings.

This needs to be better documented, and we need some way of resetting everything that might snafu Mint: probably simply deleting certain config files and directories should do it.
beer-in-box

Post by beer-in-box »

graeme wrote:I have solved it.

The problem was that the Policykit Authentication Agent, which should be in startup application and enabled, has the wrong command line. It should be:

That solved it for me, and I have my first software from the software centre installing now.

I still have the problem with regard to some admin GUIs (gdmsetup, for example): again it is a Dbus problem.
Hi, can you tell me how exactly did you do that?

When I run the file manually, it starts to work. I added it to autostart but I must have done it wrong, because I have to run it manually everytime.
elzear

Post by elzear »

beer-in-box wrote:
graeme wrote:I have solved it.

Hi, can you tell me how exactly did you do that?

When I run the file manually, it starts to work. I added it to autostart but I must have done it wrong, because I have to run it manually everytime.

I had same problem as You :)

I made it by create start.sh document (set name as you want) place in your home.
and past this to it:

#!/bin/sh
"/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1"
Set permissions to "make executable".
At last add this "short script" to start program :)
Voila.

Return to “LMDE Archive”