LM XFCE or LXDE vs. Crunchbang Openbox or XFCE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Re: LM XFCE or LXDE vs. Crunchbang Openbox or XFCE

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Know what would be cool?

If LM dumped Xubuntu and made a more user friendly Crunchbang-XFCE....something a little less geeky that is not copying anything but geared for the TYPE of users who would use Windows or Mac or Ubuntu for that matter....rather than the more geeky and esoteric distros for people who enjoy fixing a broken system like they dont have anything better to do. Crunchbang isnt advanced per se, but its definitely intermediate compared to LM Main....probably on the easier side of intermediate.

Something like Peppermint One with cloud apps on a Crunchbang based XFCE desktop only its also full of non cloud Gnome and XFCE apps WITHOUT that cumbersome full blown Gnome base....that could be a nice distro.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

XFCE is now no longer based on Xubuntu, but has been moved to the Debian edition. I have not tried the latest spin yet, but I am using the LMDE Gnome. Its pretty fast, but not nearly as snappy as I remember XFCE being.

Now that this is late 2011, how do you think these compare now?

How snappy is the latest XFCE vs LXDE from ubuntu?

It looks like I am still using a 2.6 kernel, not a 3.0 kernel......How does the final release of 2.6 compare to 3.0?

There are some apps that I used in Ubuntu that are missing in the Debian edition.....and some hardware support, like for Wacom tablets. Also, I really liked the hardware driver installer.

When are we going to be able to execute a .run file without using the command line?
edv

Post by edv »

Nick_Djinn wrote:
How snappy is the latest XFCE vs LXDE from ubuntu?
Haven't properly tried LMDE XFCE yet, but I use Crunchbang XFCE on my netbook. It replaced Mint10LXDE (I also gave Mint11LXDE a try).
One thing for sure is that Debian based XFCE distro uses about the same amount of resources as Ubuntu based LXDE (Mint10) or even less (compared to Mint 11 LXDE).
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I dont really care about being lite on resources. In fact, I am more interested in its ability to fully utilize advanced hardware, like quad core technology. Id be perfectly ok with a system that uses 6gb of ram in resting state if applications appear faster than my fingers can move or my eyes can see.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Which is faster on a newer computer?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”