Special Edition Release Magazine

Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Special Edition Release Magazine

Postby ThistleWeb on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 am

I've thought of an idea for a special edition magazine. Instead of repeating it all here, I'll link to my blog post as I wanted to offer this idea to any distro not just Mint. http://thistleweb.co.uk/blog/20/08/2011/story-distro-release it's as much promotion as funding.
Crivens!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Special Edition Release Magazine

Postby Angtagapagligt on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:06 am

I think this goes against the idea of open source where everyone can get everything at the same time without any wattles.
Of course imho :)
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    - Linus Torvalds Interview with David Diamond, September the 28th 2003
Angtagapagligt
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ThistleWeb on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:53 am

What about paid support? That discriminates against people who haven't paid for it. They don't get access to the 24/7 hotline to fix issues. I'm talking about giving a little window of exclusivity to those who are willing to pay, not denying them if they don't. It's like a movie premiere, you may pay extra to get the opening night, but it's not restricted to only showing one night. If you want better value or you're not all that committed to it, you simply wait a few days.

Even the idea of keeping the CD and jewel case labels as exclusive doesn't break the FOSS idea IMHO. You don't need those to do anything, they are extras. You can happily install a distro from a USB drive and never have it touch a CD, or even burn a CD without a label as most of us do. It's just a little extra reward for people who want that exclusive content.

If it was about making a special edition of the distro itself, then I'd agree.
Crivens!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Angtagapagligt on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 am

Okay maybe the thing with the jewel case. But I disagree with the pre premiere idea :).
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    - Linus Torvalds Interview with David Diamond, September the 28th 2003
Angtagapagligt
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Promotion