how to make vlc the default video player?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mitcoes

how to make vlc the default video player?

Post by mitcoes »

I know that with a root login it would be not a question, but root user is created and my only user password do not let me log as root.

I want to use vlc as default video player, as it is not listed at Control center, at my favorite Apps I select custom program for video and put "vlc" and it does not work. I'm doing it after triying with left mouse button, other apps, and select the box remember this app for this extension.
holyred

Re: how to make vlc the default video player?

Post by holyred »

mitcoes wrote:I know that with a root login it would be not a question, but root user is created and my only user password do not let me log as root.

I want to use vlc as default video player, as it is not listed at Control center, at my favorite Apps I select custom program for video and put "vlc" and it does not work. I'm doing it after triying with left mouse button, other apps, and select the box remember this app for this extension.
Go to the "Preferred Applications" utility, and open the "Media" tab. On the menu, choose "Custom" and in the text field, type "VLC." Then, open your home folder in the "Places" menu, and in the toolbar, click on "Edit." On the drop down menu, choose "Preferences." Go to the "Media" tab, and set "CD Audio," "DVD Video," and "Music Player" to VLC. Hope that helps.
mitcoes

Post by mitcoes »

It was done fro the very beginning, and if I open the control center or nautilus it stays, but some unknown for me config file of the system keeps totem as default video player.

I also tried open with at avis, and mark VLC as always run this extenxion with this program and nothing.

The problem probably would be solved if I know how to log as root at Gnome. Sudo does not help me.
D.Booey

Post by D.Booey »

The problem probably would be solved if I know how to log as root at Gnome. Sudo does not help me.
To log in as root, you have to enable the root account.

The root username basically doesn't have a password assigned to it, so all you have to do to enable it is assign a password to root.

sudo passwd root

It'll ask you for your password first, then it'll ask you for the password you want to assign to root, then again to verify.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Don't resurrect old threads please.

Return to “Software & Applications”