Has anybody tried . . .

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody tried . . .

Post by hugh »

Has anybody tried to share /home between Mint KDE and PCLinuxOS.
I doubt it would work, but I wondered if it was remotely likely to be successful without borking 2 installs.

I have one spare 9gb partition on my laptop and want to install PCLOS on it, but don't want to split it up into / and /home and then have to edit fstab / mtab etc yet again.

Cheers :) :)

Hugh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Has anybody tried . . .

Post by Boo »

PCLOS uses KDE so yes it would not be a good idea for mint KDE and it to share a /home partition.
they would keep interfering with each others user .kde config files.

I do not know what UID PCLOS uses for its first user it creates but...
what you could do is change the UID of your main user on mint KDE (assuming it is the same as what PCLOS will use: 1000) and change the ownership of all that users home files after.
then install PCLOS and use the shared /home, since the UIDs will be differnent you can use the same login name even.
and hay presto you have a shared /home... sort of.

well just an idea.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

PCLOS uses 500 for the UID I think, does that mean that it would write a whole raft of duplicated files to the shared /home partition?
I think I would rather play it safe, install PCLOS on the one partition (root and home combined) and mount my Mint /home (as, say /mnt/minthome) from there so I can access the pictures etc without damage.

Cheers anyway, thanks for the advice, :)

Hugh
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well if PCLOS uses UID 500 you do not have to change your user's UID on mint.
you can use the /home partition for PCLOS.
remember file/dir ownership is all UID GID based, the user names and group names are just there to make it easier for us to identify/remember them.
so when you install PCLOS using the /home partition you will essentially have 2 users in it but PCLOS will only know about one of them.
what you could do then is create a group for GID 1000 of some name and add your PCLOS user to it so you can access the mint home user by its GID permissions. then all you have to do is in mint make all the users group permissions the same as the users (or 770 to make it simple).
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”