Backup frustrations

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Backup frustrations

Post by T J Tulley »

Generally I back up by copying main folders. Now in preparation for installing Daryna, I want to copy a partition. In Windows DriveImage does this, and I thought I saw a similar program listed here, but can't find it at present.

Gnome Partition Editor should do the job, but if I select the partition to be copied, click on Copy, then go to the destination (bigger) partition, (on a different drive, of course) Paste is not available or greyed out. How do I get round this please?

Behind this problem lurks the question of Permissions.

The destination partition's properties show its owner as root, so I entered (after password) the command:
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Desktop$ sudo chown theo -R /media/disk
which was apparently accepted - no rejection message, and prompt reappeared - but the owner is unchanged.

BTW, the destination drive is in a USB-connected external adapter case. Is that a complication?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Backup frustrations

Post by dpar »

Was this the application that you were thinking of??

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

Return to “Beginner Questions”