Future use of LMDE as Squeeze (stable)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beansandjeans

Future use of LMDE as Squeeze (stable)

Post by beansandjeans »

From another thread:
xenopeek wrote:Because Linux Mint's tools are Python based, it is expected the tools will break at some point as they are moved to higher Python version that isn't on Debian Squeeze yet.
Since one of my computers uses LMDE as stable (Squeeze), I was curious about this...

Should it work as a fix to add the Python repository to the sources list so that any new stable releases of Python will be installed?...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeffreyC

Re: Future use of LMDE as Squeeze (stable)

Post by jeffreyC »

There is no repository just for python.
Either do not update from anything but Debian security or use LMDE as a rolling distro.
Sooner or later something will break otherwise.
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Hi,

I've been running LMDE pointing at the Squeeze repos for a while now, after becoming a bit concerned about the amount of potential breakages coming from Testing. I followed LifeInTheGrey's excellent tutorial here:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497

It runs really well on my older machines, eg. better IMHO than Isadora on my 5 year old laptop. I don't really use Mintupdate or Software Manager, I tend to use Synaptic or the command line.

This python business sounds like bad news, do we have any idea how far down the line such breakages are likely to occur?
I'm aware of Latest but I heeded the
Warning, this is brand new
after all everything is working fine. If I started out with a fresh install of 201101 in January, should I consider changing souces.list or making a fresh reinstall with 201108?

Cheers
Barry
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

To repeat what I said, if you are using LMDE as stable use only Debian Squeeze in your sources list.
Comment out all other entries.
To do anything else will cause breakage.
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Thanks Jeffrey, but you said Debian Security which prompted me to post as it seemed a little odd. I get it, just comment out the Mint stuff.

ta

Barry

Return to “LMDE Archive”