"Latest" repository name

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bikrus

"Latest" repository name

Post by bikrus »

Sorry. Why the repo "Latest" has this name?

I read through forum (LMDE) and often misundertand: latest repo - is it latest (read - recently updated) "incoming" repo or is it "latest" repo.

So. I understand, this is a little bit stupid, but could "latest" repo be renamed? For example "stable". Or whatever.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: "Latest" repository name

Post by grimdestripador »

I don't think you have the structure down. Its not about lattest.

The Lattest LM or Ubuntu version will be the nighest letter (in alpha betaical order).

The different tags (unsure of the actualy word), specify which types of updates you want. Be it just secury, security plus some new functionality, New unsopported features from new version back ported to the old... They all have updates, they are all the lattest. They just give you different trusted versions of the programs' code.
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

bikrus wrote:Sorry. Why the repo "Latest" has this name?

I read through forum (LMDE) and often misundertand: latest repo - is it latest (read - recently updated) "incoming" repo or is it "latest" repo.

So. I understand, this is a little bit stupid, but could "latest" repo be renamed? For example "stable". Or whatever.

Latest is the latest, tested and released LMDE mirror of the Debian testing repository. If you point your package manager at this repository you will get tested update packs about once per month or so.

Incoming is a rougher LMDE mirror of the Debian testing repository where the Mint team will test and patch the updates that flow into Debian testing. If you point your package manager at this repository, you will get updates more often but on the downside, there may be some regression for a few days after an update introduces a bug; after all, it is ultimately based on something called testing.

Debian testing is what LMDE is ultimately based on and is perhaps the rawest version of Debian testing ^_^

Stable is a Debian repository where there are few changes to versions of software except for security and bug patches.

You can read more here
Last edited by trollboy on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

Sorry, if I speaks wrong - English is not my native language. But, what about do you think reading the title of topic in this forum:

"Latest Updates Break System" ?

I could understand it these ways:

"(Repository with tag) Latest (have) Updates (which) Break System"
"Latest (read most fresh) Updates (to incoming(or any other) repository) Break System"

Code: Select all

The different tags (unsure of the actualy word), specify which types of updates you want.
Thats why I propose to rename "latest" repo to "stable" - to specify the type of updates. :wink:

Is this is offtopic - sorry.
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

bikrus wrote:Sorry, if I speaks wrong - English is not my native language. But, what about do you think reading the title of topic in this forum:

"Latest (read most fresh) Updates (to incoming(or any other) repository) Break System"

The different tags (unsure of the actualy word), specify which types of updates you want.
Thats why I propose to rename "latest" repo to "stable" - to specify the type of updates. :wink:

Oh I See. In that instance it means the second one. Maybe it should be "released" to avoid confusion with Debian Stable :)
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

2 trollboy

Thank you. I fully understand the repository structure of Debian and LMDE. The documentation in your link (here) is very good for understanding:

(Debian testing) ---> (LMDE incoming) ---test_process---> (LMDE Incoming)
(LMDE incoming) ---if_STABLE---> (LMDE Latest).

if_STABLE = "Sometimes, things get broken in Debian Testing and fixed a couple of days later. When that happens, the Mint Debian Latest repository simply isn’t updated. We wait until the Debian Testing branch is STABLE again, and only then do you get the updates."

The keyword is STABLE. But the LMDE repository is named Latest, with the results I described in previous posts. For me Stable is much better name for Latest repo.
Maybe it should be "released" to avoid confusion with Debian Stable
Totally agree! I do not ask to rename exact to "Stable". The good reason to not rename to "Stable" - is your last message. I ask to rename it to something else then Latest.
As "Stable" is not appropriate, maybe "Spin", "Milestone", "Stage" or ask community to propose the names and vote for them? :wink:
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

I do find the title a bit odd simply because the packages in it are anything but "latest"... :roll: :wink:
jon4t2

Post by jon4t2 »

bikrus wrote:2 trollboy
Totally agree! I do not ask to rename exact to "Stable". The good reason to not rename to "Stable" - is your last message. I ask to rename it to something else then Latest.
As "Stable" is not appropriate, maybe "Spin", "Milestone", "Stage" or ask community to propose the names and vote for them? :wink:
Since "Latest" is the repo:
zerozero wrote:- where the updates only go after been tested in incoming, and the Mint team is happy with the stability of them;
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76556
perhaps "Latest" could be renamed "Happy" or another name that does not already have widespread use.

Other possibilities are:
  • "Checked"
    "Reliable"
    "Verified"
    "OK"
    "Safe"
    "Gamma" (since it follows beta)
    "H2G2" (since the packages are "Mostly Harmless")
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

I agree that the name "Latest" was not a good choice. It can be confusing.
As "stable" is not appropriate, I don't have a good suggestion at the moment though.

PS: Mint having it's "own" repository was a great idea! ;)
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

I agree that the name "Latest" was not a good choice. It can be confusing.
As "stable" is not appropriate, I don't have a good suggestion at the moment though.
How about "tested and approved" :-)
yaye

Post by yaye »

"Testing" ---> "Pending" ---> "Approved" :D
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

bikrus wrote:Sorry, if I speaks wrong - English is not my native language. But, what about do you think reading the title of topic in this forum:

You definitely have a good point... I'm not a native English speaker myself even though I consider myself being quite fluent, and I still scratch my head at times when I try to sort these things out (doesn't really help that all expressions in the Linux world can confuse if you're new at it...

In other words - I totally agree that it might be a good idea to rename the repositories.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

yaye wrote:"Testing" ---> "Pending" ---> "Approved"
+1

"Latest" is pretty ambiguous. For the uninitiated, it does sound confusing when taken out of context.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
bodam

Post by bodam »

yaye wrote:"Testing" ---> "Pending" ---> "Approved" :D
How about following a pseudo application development naming standard

"Test" --> "QA" --> "Production" ??

Return to “LMDE Archive”