LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Xwang

LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Post by Xwang »

Hi to all!
I'm a kubuntu user and I would like to switch to LMDE.
I've two laptops (an old toshiba one which I use as a sort of video player/recorder connected to a TV, and a newer ASUS which I use as my primary PC).
Both have Kubuntu 10.04 installed and I will start to migrate to LMDE reformatting the toshiba notebook since there aren't a lot of personalization on it.
I would like to install the kde graphical enviernment so I wonder if it is better to use the xcfe or the gnome version as installation base.
Thank you,
Xwang
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Post by xenopeek »

I would think either would do, and a respin of LMDE KDE will be made also.
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

Hi Xwang! :)
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the official release, or at least release candidate, of Linux Mint KDE edition (based on Debian). I expect it will be released within the next couple of months, and may have KDE 4.7 packaged at the time of its release. If you feel you can't wait, however, I'd recommend using Linux Mint Xfce as your base, as Gnome 3 will be pushed to testing repositories sometime in the near future, and will make for a larger update than Xfce 4.10 (let alone that Gnome releases are more regular than Xfce, at twice a year as opposed to once a year). Linux Mint Fluxbox will also be released soon, which would make for an even better base, given that Fluxbox is smaller again.
I hope my suggestions were helpful! Whatever choice you make, enjoy LMDE! :D
Xwang

Post by Xwang »

jaycee wrote:Hi Xwang! :)
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the official release, or at least release candidate, of Linux Mint KDE edition (based on Debian). I expect it will be released within the next couple of months, and may have KDE 4.7 packaged at the time of its release. If you feel you can't wait, however, I'd recommend using Linux Mint Xfce as your base, as Gnome 3 will be pushed to testing repositories sometime in the near future, and will make for a larger update than Xfce 4.10 (let alone that Gnome releases are more regular than Xfce, at twice a year as opposed to once a year). Linux Mint Fluxbox will also be released soon, which would make for an even better base, given that Fluxbox is smaller again.

Thank you for your answer.
If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Xwang wrote:If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang
You should be able to. When the LMDE xfce version came out in March, I added it to my LMDE install simply by installing the mint-meta-xfce package (and possible a couple of other xfce packages) from the Mint repos. After everything installed, I could select xfce as one of my login options in GDM and everything worked beautifully. I would assume that the same could be done when the KDE version is released.
Xwang

Post by Xwang »

Ok, so I can use the LMDE XCFE to familiarize with LMDE.
I hope to have enough time next weekend to install on my "video recorder" laptop.
Xwang
affirmedatheist

Post by affirmedatheist »

Xwang wrote:
jaycee wrote:Hi Xwang! :)

Thank you for your answer.
If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang
As said above, you should be able to simply pull in the KDE environment once LMDE KDE is finalised - all of the LMDE variants use the same repos.

I should add - XFCE is very responsive (and stable -- I haven't had XFCE itself crap out on me at all yet!), and is probably the ideal candidate for the older laptop. It's much more frugal with RAM than KDE (which can at times be a bit of a behemoth).
Xwang

Post by Xwang »

Grazie per l'aiuto,
avevo scaricato le iso.
Adesso ho visto che sono uscite quelle aggiornate.
Se installo quelle vecchie, essendo una rolling distro, ottengo lo stesso sistema che avrei installando le versioni aggiornate, vero?
Xwang

Return to “LMDE Archive”