xircon

Update pack 3 - please use link at top to report errors

Post by xircon »

Going blind http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p466800

Can't see a thread for this, so will start one:

Code: Select all

Reading package fields... 91% ... E: Too many open files
 ... E: E: required field Package not found in 
E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10 returned an error code (10)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10
MintUpdate will not work, sudo apt-get upgrade fails with above error. Will use synaptic to upgrade in chunks to lessen the number of files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Update pack 3 - Report errors here

Post by viking777 »

xircon wrote:Can't see a thread for this, so will start one:

Reading package fields... 91% ... E: Too many open files
 ... E: E: required field Package not found in 
E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10 returned an error code (10)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || exit 10
MintUpdate will not work, sudo apt-get upgrade fails with above error. Will use synaptic to upgrade in chunks to lessen the number of files.
As for apt-listbugs I would just remove it - I find it a nuisance not a help. As for mintupdate - did you get the upgrade to this program before the main upgrade started?

As for the rest I am in the middle of downloading them now - it will take about 20 minutes. 569 upgraded packages and 4 removed!! You might as well install a new distro every month! I have always been sceptical of this 'mass' upgrade system, although tbh this is the first time I have used it (always tracked testing before). I will wait and see what happens, but to me little and often is the way to upgrade a distro safely, not like this.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Agreed, little and often is best, I have KDE/XFCE & Gnome installed = lots of updates. Merrily installing around 100 at a time (didn't have much to do today :)).

The MintUpdate upgrade was not there initially, but did come on the second run, I haven't installed yet as I assumed that the number of updates was the problem.
addegsson

Post by addegsson »

viking777

Post by viking777 »

I thought l had better make this post before I attempt a reboot, because I might disappear from the face of the earth afterwards :lol: .

All 569 packages are updated (it took about 50 minutes overall). I had endless warnings about GdkPixbuf, but since I don't know what that is, it probably won't bother me, I had several warnings about an invalid dkms.conf file when installing the new kernel (it didn't stop it from installing - although I haven't booted it yet). I had a warning that virtualbox install failed (although it seems to have been successful later on in the process) and most curious of all I had a dialogue pop up saying that it couldn't find where grub was and would I manually choose the location for the grub-pc update. Luckily it gave me the right choices so it should work - I will find out in a minute :shock: .

Here goes!
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks Addegsson will change the title.
zerozero

Re: Update pack 3 - please use link at top to report errors

Post by zerozero »

hi 8)
just got home and it seems i missed part of the party :lol:
16h20- changed sources.list according to new repos, will try first through mu-debian
16h23- mu-debian is updating itself from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 first of all
16h25- mu-debian restarts and offers 425 pkgs (402mb) to update and additionat changes of 3 removals and 56 installs (among them a lot of gtk3 pkgs - even been this a xfce install - and 3.0.0-1 kernel;

let's hit the button and see what happens :mrgreen:
17h10- BT is playing this evening, 70kb/s (2hrs more :twisted: )
18h47- the install began
19h10- update finish, no errors to report (apart from the gdkpixbuf), let's reboot and see what's happen :lol:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

17h10- BT is playing this evening, 70kb/s (2hrs more :twisted: )
Probably more to do with America hitting the servers than BT itself (although I agree they are not lillywhite, but which isp is?). It took me a long time this afternoon and I had even more upgrades than you (possibly because I didn't see Clem's warning about the repos until after I had updated). Anyhow, it took a long time, threw up lots of error messages, but in the end it miraculously worked and the only thing I had to do was to reinstall an older version of Exaile which is not a standard program anyway (I think).
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I didn't see the warning ether until I upgraded but so far other than a user malfunction(dork bug) Chrome and Iron browsers give a plugin missing error, but FireFox seems to be OK. Flash is OK on all of them. Well that's all the snooping I gotten to so far.

Edit:disabling the VLC plugins in Chrome and Iron seems to have fixed my plugin problem.
Last edited by wyrdoak on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking777 wrote: Probably more to do with America hitting the servers than BT itself
mine is a shared wireless access (i tend to blaim BT, but really, it all depends on how many are accessing at the same time :lol: ) now is floating between 100 and 200, so won't be long
viking777 wrote: the only thing I had to do was to reinstall an older version of Exaile which is not a standard program anyway (I think).
this worries me :lol: i finally got exaile working (removed banshee and all the mono together) and now you are telling me it will be broken :evil:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

this worries me :lol: i finally got exaile working (removed banshee and all the mono together) and now you are telling me it will be broken :evil:
Only slightly broken.

See here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 86#p466904
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

back :lol: and xfce is still alive

uname -a
Linux amix 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
about exaile, viking, seems good to me, it wouldn't rescan the collection at first, but after i confirm the location of the music folder, it had no problem; i did worst: deleted the location and selected it again and it picked all my music.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:back :lol: and xfce is still alive

about exaile, viking, seems good to me, it wouldn't rescan the collection at first, but after i confirm the location of the music folder, it had no problem; i did worst: deleted the location and selected it again and it picked all my music.
You were lucky. I tried all that and it didn't work for me.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking777 wrote: You were lucky
sorry 'bout that :lol:
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

xircon wrote:Agreed, little and often is best, I have KDE/XFCE & Gnome installed = lots of updates. Merrily installing around 100 at a time (didn't have much to do today :)).

The MintUpdate upgrade was not there initially, but did come on the second run, I haven't installed yet as I assumed that the number of updates was the problem.

I just updated MU from .02 to .03 and had 726 updates, all of which had to be done through term. Initially, the first try, it went through gathering all updates, then apparently installed them and then got a funny message at the bottom, so I closed term, reopened it and repeated the proccess, in which it told me to do a "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to fix the problem. So I did that, then I went through the update proccess again, and it installed in 2 stages, those that were to be installed and the others were to be held back. The ones to be held back apparently had the new kernel in it, because I'm now at 3.0.0.1......the whole proccess took about 45 min. I'm running LMDE_KDE experimental on my laptop via a usb sata 320GB HD
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

during the update you'll most probably be asked where to install grub;
should be an easy task, as long as you know where it was before :)
(i's a small warning that some may find useful)
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Just 2 days ago i changed from incoming to testing and received about 550-600 mb' s of updates. The reason? A bit frustrated and worried: 600 mb's may become 700, 800, or over a thousand -and i had not a clue or a previous experience of the new updating scheme to decide if it would be better to wait a little more time. And what's the difference comparing to the user who follows latest?

Okay, regarding the upgrades, no problem so far.

Now, i switched back to incoming. Not a wise thing to go forth and back but i am planning to stay here and to watch how the new system is evolving. :)
slowman

Post by slowman »

updated to pack3 today. So far so good. Only one problem, Acer Extensa 4420 reinstall the wireless driver after updated. Lenovo G555 no problem at all. :D
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

Can't see Update pack 3. Where did u get it??

OK, I see, they are for "Incoming" repo. :(
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Could you guys using "incoming" clear something up for me? When you installed update pack 2 weren't you using the original sources on the software source list?
Did you change your multimedia and security source lists BEFORE you installed Update Pack 3?

I just recently installed the "respin" iso and there was update pack2 on the "update manager" which was small but i installed it....now i read on the announcement page that i wasn't supposed to install it yet? not until the update pack 3 to "latest" is released because multimedia and security sources need to be changed and Clem in going to try to see if it can be done automatically and if not we would have to do it manually....

Now i am concerned about possible "incompatibility" problems when the source list is change for update pack3....should i be concerned?
If there is a problem at the time in doing updates is there any recommendations you can make?

Sorry to post here...but i am getting very "confused" about this business :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”