UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clem
Level 12
Level 12

UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by clem »

Update Pack 3 is ready for you to test ;)

WARNING: LMDE Update Packs now cover not only the Debian repository, but also the "Security" and "Multimedia" repos. Make absolutely sure you're pointing to these three repositories (and not to the original debian, security or multimedia repos):

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free

Rules:

- This thread is for users of the Linux Mint Debian Incoming repository only.
- This thread is for users of the Linux Mint Debian Incoming repository to report problems to the team, so that the team can relay them towards all LMDE users via the Update Manager.
- If you're pointing to the Debian repositories, do not post in here.
- If you're looking for support, answers or information, do not post in here.

When posting about a regression or tricky upgrade, please include the following:

- The package update which is problematic.
- If you can, analyse the cause of the problem and why it is happening.
- If you solved it or found a workaround, please post it as well.
- Include any information you think might help the team solve the problem for others, or that might help others to work around the problem.

Any post not following these rules will be deleted.

The Update Pack repositories were created to help people help each others identify regressions coming from Debian Testing and to give the team the opportunity to fix things at regular intervals. I'd like to thank all the people who will somehow act as guinea pigs while using the Incoming update-packs and thanks to whom users of the Latest update-packs will have an easier life.

Thanks for choosing Mint and thanks for helping out!
bikrus

Re: UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by bikrus »

Hi!

I track incoming repo. LMDE XFCE 32bit. The sources.list, according to first message in this topic, updated after upgrade.

Today I upgraded from update pack 2 to 3. Problems:

1. No nvdia driver after upgrade. Solution (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p459352):
after upgrade reboot in any old kernel with working nvidia, run synaptic and reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms and nvidia-glx. After this I can boot into 3.0.0-1 kernel with working nvidia.

2. Don't know nothing about next one. But my desktop works without problems.

Code: Select all

Preparing to replace libvirtodbc0 6.1.2+dfsg1-1+b2 (using .../libvirtodbc0_6.1.3+dfsg1-1_i386.deb) ...
GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'window-close' for stock: Unrecognized image file format at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_default_render_icon: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_render_icon: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 138.
Virtuoso has been deleted (if it existed at all) because its usage count became zero
Unpacking replacement libvirtodbc0 ...
Seems like same warning during upgrading of:
Preparing to replace xserver-xorg 1:7.6+7 (using .../xserver-xorg_1%3a7.6+8_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cups (1.4.8-2) ...
Setting up foomatic-filters (4.0.9-1) ...
Setting up x11-common (1:7.6+8) ...

Hope, this will help.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Large number of updates cause apt-get to fail http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 94&start=0

I have KDE/Gnome/XFCE installed, so probably my fault ;) Have installed chunks via synaptic and am now running a sudo apt-get upgrade which appears to be running OK except for masses of GDIpixbuf warnings (same as Viking).

(gtk-update-icon-cache:7551): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
Mintupdate should be altered to update itself first, before attempting any further updates.

Will report back as and when.

Steve
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Despite everything I posted on the other thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=80394 at first sight everything is working. The trouble is that so much has been updated I don't even know where to start testing stuff - anyway it boots and it connects to the internet, so that is a good start.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Mintupdate should be altered to update itself first, before attempting any further updates.
That is exactly what happened for me xircon - don't know why it didn't for you.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Probably of minor interest as I believe Banshee is the default music player, but just in case anyone else still uses Exaile, the upgrade broke it (partially - it still played but would not play any of the built in playlists like random 100 etc and wouldn't rescan the collection). I reinstalled 0.3.2.1 from source and it works again.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

clem wrote:Update Pack 3 is ready for you to test ;)

WARNING: LMDE Update Packs now cover not only the Debian repository, but also the "Security" and "Multimedia" repos. Make absolutely sure you're pointing to these three repositories (and not to the original debian, security or multimedia repos):

deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free

!
If I point to those three repositories alone I get the following warning in mintupdate:
Screenshot.png
If I do as it says the warning goes away, so I am not quite sure what to do.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey all.....I'm getting this output when doing an upgrade through term: (gtk-update-icon-cache:11915): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

I'm running the 201108 respin and also using the new repo's Clem put up for update pack 3.....has anyone else been running into this...thanks...cheers

Andrew
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking, to those 3 you have to add the mint repo as mu-debian asks you;
packages.linuxmint has to be always present, then the 3 mirrored debian, main, multimedia and security
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:viking, to those 3 you have to add the mint repo as mu-debian asks you;
packages.linuxmint has to be always present, then the 3 mirrored debian, main, multimedia and security
Thanks zz. That is what I decided to do anyway, but a big red warning like that from the distros founder is likely to influence those with less mettle than yourself :lol:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

andrew5859 wrote:Hey all.....I'm getting this output when doing an upgrade through term: (gtk-update-icon-cache:11915): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

I'm running the 201108 respin and also using the new repo's Clem put up for update pack 3.....has anyone else been running into this...thanks...cheers

Andrew
Everyone is getting those warnings Andrew - just ignore them, they make no difference to anything that I can find. Having said that I am sure someone will tell me where to look to find their consequence.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Does this have anything to do with the gtk icon themes at all.....just curious thinking
xircon

Post by xircon »

Well the update seems to have gone OK. Have one package held back:

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  foomatic-db-engine
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
But as I don't have a printer, who cares!

Sound works, flash works and compiz works.

$ uname -a
Linux n5010 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

about the
GdkPixbuf-WARNING
the only thing i can find are 2 ubuntu bug reports

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/779741
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/619003

and one topic in the debian forum

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... uf#p388065

and i'm not wiser after reading that :lol:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

andrew5859 wrote:Does this have anything to do with the gtk icon themes at all.....just curious thinking
Here is a nice simple explanation of it Andrew:

http://openbooks.sourceforge.net/books/ ... ixbuf.html

Have a read through that and if you have any questions remaining, just let me know :shock:
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Thanks viking....very informative
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Updated today and all went well except the Video drivers, but i am used to that using an ATI card. sgfxi took care of that. One other issue i have is that AWN window manager apps are broken, not all of them but many of them.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Sorry, I didn't see the warning ether until I upgraded but so far,Chrome and Iron browsers gave a plugin missing error, but FireFox seems to be OK. Flash is OK on all of them. Just got a Chrome update disabled the VLC plugins in the Chrome and Iron browsers now they all seem to work.

Updated my checkbook spreadsheet in Libreoffice that seems to be OK also, cups was printing also.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

System: Somewhat modified Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-430 w/1GB DDR3, 550 watt power supply

I've completed the update to Update Pack 3 on the LMDE 201108 RC that had been previously updated to Pack 2 after install. So far the system is running find, no major glitches. In fact, there's only one glitch and that is seen during boot up after the update but it doesn't seem to affect anything. This is what I see while watching the boot up text (taken from "syslog" file from my last boot up, error shown in red)
-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378606] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [io 0x0000-0x0cf7]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378608] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [io 0x0d00-0xffff]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378610] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000a0000-0x000bffff]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378612] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x000d0000-0x000dffff]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378615] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0xc0000000-0xdfffffff]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378617] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0xf0000000-0xfed8ffff]
Aug 30 17:08:52 lmde-respin-rc kernel: [ 0.378622] pci_root PNP0A08:00: address space collision: host bridge window [mem 0x000d0000-0x000dffff] conflicts with Adapter ROM [mem 0x000ce000-0x000d3dff]
Like I said, the system does not seem to be affected at all because of this. I seem to recall I saw the same type of boot up error when I installed the latest Linux Kernel 3.0 RC to LM 11. The error isn't seen with the previous 2.6.29 kernel series.

And just for information sake, I saw 6 "errors/warnings" during the update process for Update Pack 3:

Preparing to replace libgnutls26 2.10.5-2 (using .../libgnutls26_2.12.7-7_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libgnutls26 ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
dpkg: libntfs-3g804: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
ntfs-3g depends on libntfs-3g804; however:
Package libntfs-3g804 is to be removed.
Of course, I didn't request anything to be removed. :D

creating fuse group...
udev active, skipping device node creation.
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `fuse' overwrites defaults (empty).
Setting up vim-tiny (2:7.3.280-1) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/vim.tiny because link group vi is broken.
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/vim.tiny because link group view is broken.
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/vim.tiny because link group ex is broken.
Setting up linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 (3.0.0-1) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.0.0-1-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-1-amd64
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.0.0-1-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-1-amd64
Setting up fakeroot (1.17-1) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/fakeroot-sysv because link group fakeroot is broken.
Setting up linux-headers-3.0.0-1-amd64 (3.0.0-1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.0.0-1-amd64
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File:
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
Once again, the system appears to be running fine once I'm logged into the desktop. The 3.0 kernel is installed, the 280 Nvida driver is installed, Compiz is working fine as well as VLC (both player and browser plugins in Firefox and Chrome) and LibreOffice and printing. Knowing how updating LMDE (or any other version of GNU/Linux) is not exactly what you might call, "perfectly sequential", I'm not too concerned about the above update "error" call outs. Doesn't hurt to post them though.

Not too sure about the boot up error I listed at the beginning of the post though. Anyone else seeing anything like that during boot up?
Last edited by kmb42vt on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

First impressions (64 Bit): Minor problems are broken applets in AWN (logout, shutdown, volume control, weather are the ones I noticed, there are probably more). Also, a little more worrying, my favorite media player, Guayadeque 0.31, is broken. It claims to have detected a memory corruption:

23:47:49: Library Db Version 21
*** glibc detected *** guayadeque: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0000000001d166b0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x72606)[0x7f0ae4f25606]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x75673)[0x7f0ae4f28673]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x70)[0x7f0ae4f2a420]
/usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0(_ZNK8wxMBConv6cWC2MBEPKwmPm+0x6b)[0x7f0ae8850e2b]
/usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0(_ZNK8wxString6mb_strERK8wxMBConv+0x1d)[0x7f0ae885728d]
/usr/lib/libwxsqlite3-2.8.so.0(_ZN17wxSQLite3Database4OpenERK8wxStringS2_i+0x44)[0x7f0ae6b314b4]
guayadeque(_ZN4guDb4OpenERK8wxString+0x71)[0x4b13b1]
guayadeque(_ZN4guDbC1ERK8wxString+0x1f)[0x4b146f]
guayadeque(_ZN9guDbCacheC1ERK8wxString+0x10)[0x4e1680]
guayadeque(_ZN9guMainApp6OnInitEv+0x465)[0x53ed75]
/usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0(_Z7wxEntryRiPPw+0x4c)[0x7f0ae883b0ec]
guayadeque(main+0x12)[0x49aaa2]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd)[0x7f0ae4ed1ead]
guayadeque[0x49c461]

Return to “LMDE Archive”