Midori for lightweight editions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Blazing Teens

Midori for lightweight editions

Post by Blazing Teens »

HI,
Today I downloaded Midori, the web browser from XFCE developers, and the most lightweight up-to-date browser.
My suggestion is to be Midori default web browser in lightweight editions.
I mean XFCE, LXDE and Fluxbox.
Blazing Teens

Re: Midori for lightweight editions

Post by Blazing Teens »

Note the used version of Midori is 0.4.0 It is better then it previous 0.3.6
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have never had any 'problems' with the Midori-browser.

Midori is light on resources and fast ... although, some people claim that it doesn't have all the features, add-ons and plug-ins they would like.

You might also, have a look at the Epiphany-browser ... about the same as Midori for lightness and speed, with a few more features.

I would go for either, as the default browser for the lighter-weight desktop versions.
burjans

Post by burjans »

Swiftfox browser :wink:
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Just 2 cents, not even worth that much honestly. Noticed a few distro's do include midori by default. Mainly waste of time and space on the iso though. Most people will immediately install one of the more popular mainstream anyway. People who want midori, always have the option of adding it though. Swiftfox = dead proj, no longer being developed or maintained. At least with midori supposedly progress is being made. Last time I tried it, it was buggy as all get out and did lack mucho features ... Like a password manager. That was midori 0.3.5, things could've come a long way since I guess.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I agree with using Midori (or other light weight browser) as the default browser for the next version of Mint Fluxbox. You can always install your favorite browser but this way you have a more light weight release. On a 256MB of RAM computer I find that Midori works ok but Firefox is very slow and it runs out of RAM on some sites.

For the XFCE edition I think Firefox is fine.
burjans

Post by burjans »

we lost too much functions with Midori, better Firefox 3.6.21 or Chromium
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For LXDE releases it is a great browser. Fast, just like LXDE, and not using much RAM. Though I agree that it is too limited for the main edition of Mint.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”