What will you like to see in the Linux Mint e17 distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

What will you like to see in the Linux Mint e17 distro

Post by molom »

I would like to hear from all you linux users what you want to see in the Linux Mint e17 distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
molom

Re: What will you like to see in the Linux Mint e17 distro

Post by molom »

checho wrote:Animated BAckgrounds :D :D I Think they are awesome!

Easy to use... no more ;)
The developer Maty told me that he is designing the animated backgrounds. And the easy to use part should be covered without a problem. (Have you heard of a linux mint, which is hard to use? :D )
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Perhaps I've not been paying attention, but what, exactly, is the e17 distro?
molom

Post by molom »

checho wrote:Well you are right, Linux Mint itself is very easy to use :D... I'm waiting for it.

I only have one doubt, I can't use 3d effects on E17? The only think I should need are some screenlets that I use as another panel for showin me Diskusage, stick notes, Today Calendar, Clock, PicFrame, etc..... How can I find something like that con E17
E17 is still considered to be an alpha WM/DE, which means not everything is possible. I'm not sure if you can use gdesklets and so on. But the current e17 comes with a clock, sticky notes, picframe and others. There is no today calender, but I heard developers are making one. When the stable version of e17 will release, I'm sure it will have many more features than KDE, Gnome or XFCE. Since screenlets are considered to be eyecandy I have no doubt that the stable e17 will have all the screenlets you want. I am still happy with all the stuff e17 comes with at the moment, but I really like how the speed is faster than even XFCE. This is what the e17 team is adding and fixing for the next version ( http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Enlightenment ). By the way there is already a taskbar for e17.
Si precisas algo mas, preguntame ;)
Last edited by molom on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
molom

Post by molom »

Alpha-Geek wrote:Perhaps I've not been paying attention, but what, exactly, is the e17 distro?
E17 is an awkward Desktop Environment (Some people still consider it to be just a window manager) when seen for the first time. Some people think that its all about eyecandy, but it's functionality is quite impressive. It is faster than any Desktop Environment (DE) out there (Not sure if it beats fluxbox though). It is still under heavy development, but is still very stable. I wouldn't recommend it for production purposes, but you won't have any problems having it for home. This desktop environment is probably one of the most eyecandy-filled DE's out there. And no graphics card is needed for this eyecandy. The only distributions out there which focus on e17 are:
gOS
elive
Yellow Dog Linux
OZOS
e17 Mint (in development)
Geubuntu

If you want to try it out, I would recommend Geubuntu for now, which uses Gnome and E17 at the same time. The 7.10 version released recently. If you can wait try the stable release of Mint e17. Yellow Dog Linux sells there Operating System for $80 and it only has e17 inbuilt, so you can imagine how stable e17 is.
molom

Post by molom »

checho wrote:Molom hablas español? (Me sería más fácil hacerme entender ;))

I think that E17 isn't compatible with Compiz-Fusion, is it? Well. That isn't a problem, I will post here an image to show you more or less what I use on gnome, and then if you can, tell what things can I do similar....

(Spanish: Supong que E17 no es compatible con Compiz-Fusion (O si?). Bueno ese no es el problema, voy a ponder una imagen de lo que es mi escritorio ahorita con gnome y te agradeceria si pedes decirme que puedo hacer en E17 de forma similar:) )

http://www.eduwiki.info/SergioAndresRiv ... torio1.png

Note: Windows don't cover the right side bar ;)
Mi Espanol no es el mejor ;)
No es possible usar beryl o compiz-fusion con e17. Puede ser despues es possible. Los unicas cosas que puedes hacer es tener un shelve en la derecha de la pantalla que es transparente con un reloj, CPU monitor, battery monitor, picture frame y nada mas. Despues cuando e17 es estable va a tener casi todo las cosas que tenes ahora en tu sidebar pero por ahora no es possible. Si queres algo mas rapido puedes usar Mint XFCE que va a salir este mes.

Saludos Molom
molom

Post by molom »

checho wrote:I preffer E17 due to I like it since I met first time Elive (But It didn't recognize somo of my hardware :S ). Now that it is going to be in MInt, I will use it :D. One more thing, Don't you say that sticky notes were available? If not, no problem I can survive without them :). Truly, many of the things I have there are only for covering it, because the idea is to put launchers, the clock, a photo and a battery status (That didn't funct on me with screenlets:(, bur I hope with E17 yes :D ).

PD: Your spanish is good, there were only a few mistakes but no more ;) COngrats.
Los stickies no lucen tan buenos como lo que tu tenes. Esto es un screenshot de los stickies que se llaman estickies ( http://fr.enlightenment.org/wp-content/ ... csrbr4.png ). elive es un pobre e17 distro porque todo los versiones usan el version de e17 viejo. Los distros como el e17 mint va a usar el version nuevo. Los programas de Mint van a ser muy buenos comparados del gOS o elive. Yo soy el director para artwork para el proyecto de e17 Mint. Si queres ver unos artes finalizados para este proyecto puedes ir a esta pagina ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=7292 ).

Saludos
molom
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

Mi desktop e-17.

This image reflects but or except a desk Enlightenment;
Greetings;
Agust
molom

Post by molom »

So is there anything else that someone wants in the e17 distro other than being easy to use and have animated backgrounds ? ;)
molom

Post by molom »

I personally like a dark theme for the Mint e17 version and it seems to be the same for Verdegal. Something bright like the Gnome Mint for the e17 distro would look terrible, like gOS. The Mint e17 team wouldn't like to touch anything like gOS. And I personally dislike it a lot. I will see about that elive set up you like. I'll ask the developer if it's possible to have a window at installation, which gives you an option of the elive taskbar style and the default e17 style. Shadows won't be a problem. By the way many of these things are easy to customize by any user. I am looking for an icon artist to make icons like these:
http://manowarrior.deviantart.com/art/E ... n-62187120 (I think someone is helping me out with this)

1. VLC for default media player - Currently the fullscreen function on VLC blacksout the distro and the computer needs to be restarted after that, the e17 team is trying to fix that bug so currently VLC isn't an available option.
2. Exaile for default music player - Exaile will be included along side with Songbird (Very itunes like)
3. Azureus installed by default - I don't agree with azureus because its a big CPU consumer but the Mint e17 group will see. I personally prefer deluge for torrents. But we'll see
4. Gimp - Will be done
5. Inkscape - Will be done
6. K3B... hmm maybe hate the k3b theme tho... but its an awesome app. - I agree its the best open source burner program in the world, but it uses KDE libs and is horrible looking (I hate those icons it uses), but I can't find an equivalent, so I'm stuck for that one. If K3B won't be used I guess we'll have to go with Brasero or something
7. Pidgin i guess even tho i use Emesene, but not everyone uses the msn protocol.. (i noticed checho also uses it :D ;) still in its beta pre release stages and already better than pidgin for msn users) - Pidgin will be used
8. Skype? - Wouldn't want it, makes the distro seem to cluttered
9. Open Office - Will be done
10. Devede awesome transcoder. - Don't know, I personally don't transcode, but maybe many others do.
11. gtk-recordmydesktop (best recorder to show off your desktop and what it can do :) would be worth the diskspace to include it) - I guess we'll include it

Some things can be just downloaded without been cluttered by equivalents for example Skype, Devede and record my desktop. PCMan will be the file manager and many ubuntu system apps and accessories will be included.

You have helped immensely me and the Mint e17 team. If you can help more it would be amazing.
molom

Post by molom »

If you put the light theme problem that way, that is definitely something that has to be taken care of. For the coming beta, there will be a dark theme, but for the stable release I will put all my work into that area (This is good advice you are giving me). I will talk to the developer about including gtk-recordmydesktop as default. Skype can be installed easy after installation or if there is enough space on the disc the developer could have an option where it asks you whether you want to install it or not (I just find the Linux skype very limited compared to the Windows version). Ktorrent should have the same or more features than azuerus (Just some advice you could use because Ktorrent is less demanding on resources), but we need lightweight applications for a lightweight distro.

This is the kind of advice I need. I joined to be the artwork manager to give ideas for apps like you have done and manage artwork for the e17 project (I really like e17, I just find it unique from any other Desktop Environment). You are a good helper. If there are any more suggestions just post something.
molom

Post by molom »

Kynan wrote:Thanks for offering to put all your time into a light theme, imean im not sure if everyone feels this way but still.. its a worthwhile investment of time. I'm sure there will be people who prefer it.

I would also be interested in helping making themes for e17 if possible. It is one area where i feel i could be of use. Are the themes very difficult to make? i have never made a theme for gnome let alone e17 but i'm willing to learn about this.
What programs would i need / any code knowledge?

Also is there anything to make window borders in e17 like there is emerald in gnome?
I do not have a clue about any form of programming or designing. I am more of a marketer :D . RAV TUX one of the most fanatic e17 users in the world I know of (He seems to ignore every other desktop environment and Window Manager, that's how radical he's about e17). He is now trying to develop an e17 distro called OZOS, he must know a lot about programming and designing themes etc. I even think he's Australian. You can find him on Ubuntu forums and if you want me to contact him instead just tell me and tell me the questions in a list of what you want me to ask him.

I am thinking of using either the 'smoke' theme or the 'milky's' theme for the light theme, check the themes here ( http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/ ). Which one do you prefer?

Cheers
molom
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I think that Azureus would be out of place in mintE17; I use Deluge, though I also used qbittorrent. They are both light clients, with a decent feature set.
As for the dark/light theme; could it be possible to choose between a dark one and a light one during the installation, just like Elive and Geubuntu? That would be the best solution ;)

Another question: is it possible to put icons on the desktop in E17? If I remember correctly that wasn't allowed, but I don't know if it's still the case. You can do it in Geubuntu, but maybe that's because it also installs Gnome libraries. :?:
molom

Post by molom »

kanishka wrote:I think that Azureus would be out of place in mintE17; I use Deluge, though I also used qbittorrent. They are both light clients, with a decent feature set.
As for the dark/light theme; could it be possible to choose between a dark one and a light one during the installation, just like Elive and Geubuntu? That would be the best solution ;)

Another question: is it possible to put icons on the desktop in E17? If I remember correctly that wasn't allowed, but I don't know if it's still the case. You can do it in Geubuntu, but maybe that's because it also installs Gnome libraries. :?:
Yes I am planning to set two themes (Light and Dark), I'm planning to have many applications where during the installation it asks you whether you want one, all, some or none if there's enough space in the live cd. If there isn't any space I'm planning only to use Deluge. I believe its possible to have icons on the desktop now with the new CVS, becuase even gOS had icons on the desktop.
molom

Post by molom »

Kynan wrote:A few things, i found from http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Lo ... 3142.shtml

Just wondering what you are going to use for the default file manager. I noticed that geubuntu uses thunar. I'ts supposed to be lightweight i wonder how good it is tho.

And i also noticed that they have VLC as the default media player, i wonder how they got past the problems that you were experiencing. Maybe its something to look into?
PCman is going to be the file manager (elbuntu uses it) it's very lightweight and it has very good looks. I've seen many bugs under thunar when used with e17. I'm sure Geubuntu 7.10 doesn't have VLC, I'll have to check again because I tried the live cd the other day (great distro, just some bugs). Because the e17 development mentioned that the VLC bug is going to be fixed for the next release ( http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Enlightenment ) first point under bugs. If it's possible I will use VLC (I know it's a great app, I used to use it for Mac OS X, I left to linux after using that OS)
molom

Post by molom »

Kynan wrote:
kanishka wrote:I think that Azureus would be out of place in mintE17; I use Deluge, though I also used qbittorrent. They are both light clients, with a decent feature set.
I guess the main things im interested in is that it had the option to de-select any files you don't want to download (ie if you only want 1 song from an album) also to do with this it has to be able to deselect and re-enable files whilst i'm already downloading i sometimes do this to give preference to files i want to be done sooner. It has to have a rating system (ie the star system in azureus) and comments like azureus does (this is very handy in letting people know if things are a waste of time downloading, usually the first thing i check before leaving anything to download.) Appart from that i guess as long as its easy to use/update ect.
I don't use the commenting system in built on torrent clients, not sure if deluge has it. But Deluges first thing that it asks when downloading is what files within the torrent you want to download, so that's covered. It also now has a timing system to choose when you want to download, which is perfect for people with peek and off-peak plans. This talk is good progress, after the beta releases I will plan with Maty (the developer) to implement these ideas and apps.
molom

Post by molom »

checho wrote:Wow, one day without posting and what a thread lol. Well

@Kynan:

Great that you use emesene too :D. I think is the best MSN protocol despite his failure in sending files. Well, do you think we could use it in E17?.

@MOlom:

I think the same about light and dark themes as Kynan said. I have the same problems with my yes ;) .

@All:

I don't now if you have tried Listen as music player. I try Exaile but in my laptop the sound in amarok, rhythmbox, songbird and exaile is better than in banshee or exaile. I don't know if that ocurrs in other pcs. The icons are good the ones that molom show us. I'm thinking. Do you know how the system will sound? or were to hear that?.
I already planned to choose a light theme called 'smoke' ( http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/ ) Agust already made a wallpaper for the theme, overnight (Amazing guy). I don't want anything light green, that's why I was against a light theme, but smoke turned out to be a good light theme, which doesn't look like gOS. I don't know about the sound problems you have been having with exaile, to bad I haven't tried it yet.
molom

Post by molom »

checho wrote:OK smoke is good.... ;-).Let's wait for the system sounds :S....
I don't understand. What's happening with the system sounds? I was organizing these sounds until maty told me that the e17 distro is going to use the default sounds from Daryna. Has the plan changed? Or are you trying to install the default Daryna system sounds into the beta?
molom

Post by molom »

Any more advice?

By the way. The artwork page has been updated with the new light theme wallpapers, which are designed for the smoke theme. ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=7292 ). There might be one more theme.
molom

Post by molom »

I have used an iMac for 3 years and I found that I couldn't get used to the close/minimize/maximize buttons. I don't think even many linux user and definately windows user would want it. I do admit that the window border for 'smoke' isn't the best, but there isn't much of a variety for e17, so changes in looks for the Mint e17 will eventually change when a bigger variety will appear. There even arn't many nice e17 themes, there are some themes that I just ask myself 'who would use that theme' like 'Dali' and 'Camo', but then again that's my opinion. But for now we will have to stick to it. I didn't choose the milky's theme and simply white because it is just too bright, plain and mac-like. Mint e17 wants a unique look, but I assure you that there will be better themes for e17, which will be able to please more users for the later versions of e17. Atleast the mint17 team hasn't chosen bling-bling ;).

By the way why did the 'Chasers' have to finish up now. :( ........ ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”