Linux Mint messes up my windows partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turnip

Linux Mint messes up my windows partition

Post by turnip »

Hey guys, I have a problem when dual booting mint and windows; its happened with both ubuntu mint and debian mint. What happens is if I go into my mint installation and then go into my windows installation windows will load without graphics drivers and the taskbar will be a dull color and I wont be able to move my mouse. I have to power off and go into windows again to fix it, but if I go into mint again it will break again requiring another reboot. Also it will set my clock to an incorrect time which stays broken after the reboot of windows.

Anyone got any ideas what in mint could be affecting my windows partition? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Linux Mint messes up my windows partition

Post by wyrdoak »

Your clock problem may be fix by this:

SimonTS wrote:Please open a terminal and open this file

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS
If you have UTC=yes, change it to UTC=no, save and exit.
I'm still trying to figure out why on a warm boot Window$ isn't resetting your hardware when loading. Maybe someone will come around and help. But your partitions are safe.
turnip

Post by turnip »

Sorry I should have been more clear, the linux is 100% fine all the time. Its the windows that is being affected, its where the clock is changing times and everything is breaking. :lol:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I had the problem of Windows and Mint fighting over control of the system clock until I made this change to Mint, Windows doesn't get along with UTC time so I turned it off in Mint.

I hardly use windows anymore just keep it on just in case...

I'm still not sure as to why windows doesn't rest your hardware in soft boot, while it's loading.

Windows has never been known to play well with others.
turnip

Post by turnip »

Cool I think that fixed it, thanks for the help! :D
White

Post by White »

This helped perfectly, thanks a lot.

keeping 2 hard disks, one for each OS(mint and w7) and was giving me this very same problem.

Return to “Storage”