To change a keyboard layout switching key(s).(Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daison
Level 1
Level 1

To change a keyboard layout switching key(s).(Solved)

Post by daison »

As I'm living in Latvia, I have to switch between languages very often. Ok, so I found how to do it for LXDE Mint. I made a file called Xkbmap in /ect/X11 with -option grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ru,lv in it and it working fine, but I used to switch layouts with windows key.
Question is: What should be written instead of ctrl_shift_toggle?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: To change a keyboard layout switching key(s).

Post by xenopeek »

I think: super_toggle
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

No, Vincent, it doesn't work. But thank you for your reply. Maybe I should mention, that it's Linux Mint 11 Katya LXDE, on notebook HP Compaq nx5000.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The key is either called super, or meta_win. Don't know if meta_win_toggle might work (Google has nothing helpful on this :().
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Ok, I'll try meta_win later, thank you.

No, not working either. Maybe there is something else to change to make it work?
maxmm5

Post by maxmm5 »

Hi daison, Is LXDE has Control Center? I'm using LMDE and from Control Center under Hardware section, hit Keyboard then from Keyboard Preference window go to Layouts and make sure there are 2 languages on the window ( USA+ your language of choice), then hit Options button below, from Keyboard Layout Options select "Key(s) to change layout" and select the two key's combination you like and your done . maxmm5
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Hi, maxmm5! No, in LXDE edition I cannot find any Control Center, there is only Openbox Cofiguration Manager, but there is nothing about keyboard configuration. Just Theme, Appearance, Windows, Move & Resize ...
maxmm5

Post by maxmm5 »

Hi daison, I've tried LXDE on LIve Session and found out that you can activate the keyboard input method system by following this step; Menu/System Tools/Language Support, on the Language tab, make sure you got the default language first and your language of choice second, then hit the up and down arrow of "Keyboard input method system:", if it was gray-out, then you must install the "ibus" apps using Software Manager. Good luck, maxmm5
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Hi, maxmm5, thank you for being so helpful, but there is no such a thing like I couldn't switch keyboard layouts. All is good and working. It is just a way how I used to switch between keyboard layouts. The way it is described in my post makes switching with 2 keys pressed together - ctrl+shift. Using Linux Mint Gnome edition and other Linuxes with XFCE..., I configured those to switch keyboard layout with only pressing one useless windows button. I find it convenient, but here, in Linux Mint LXDE edition I cannot get it my way. That is a matter of my question here. So... We'll keep on trying. :D
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Try these:

grp:lwin_switch --- Left Win (while pressed)
grp:rwin_switch --- Right Win (while pressed)
grp:win_switch --- Any Win key (while pressed)
grp:win_menu_switch --- Left Win (to first layout), Right Win/Menu (to last layout)
grp:lwin_toggle --- Left Win
grp:rwin_toggle --- Right Win

These are from a file called xorg.lst in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules of Linux Mint 11 LXDE.

If you get this to work, could you post the format of your Xkbmap file, and where you installed it, for others to learn from.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Hi, Garvan! It is working your way! Big fat THANK YOU!
I just edited my /ect/X11/Xkbmap like this: -option grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ru,lv
And now it switches throw all my layouts every time I press left win key (that is the only win key I have on my laptop).
I'm happy now :D .
kasyak

Post by kasyak »

daison wrote:Hi, Garvan! It is working your way! Big fat THANK YOU!
I just edited my /ect/X11/Xkbmap like this: -option grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ru,lv
And now it switches throw all my layouts every time I press left win key (that is the only win key I have on my laptop).
I'm happy now :D .
For anyone still having this problem, I'm posting my experience.
I'm using Mint 12 (lisa) LXDE 32-bit.
/ect/X11/Xkbmap file did not do the job for me. Not sure if I did something wrong, or this just doesn't work anymore.
I am using Russian and English(US) layouts, with Left Win switch (while pressed) and Alt+Shift toggle.
I modified the contents of my /etc/default/keyboard to:
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,ru"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:lwin_switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle"

The settings for XKBMODEL, XKBLAYOUT, XKBVARIANT and XKBOPTIONS ca be found in Preferences -> Lxkeymap application, you need to go to menu Variant -> Show All

Hope this helps somebody.
P.S. I cannot believe there's no easy graphical way to add layouts. Really discouraging...

Return to “Software & Applications”