Really Like Linux Mint Debian XFCE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
supergoo

Really Like Linux Mint Debian XFCE

Post by supergoo »

I just reloaded the new Linux Mint Debian XFCE version. I like it alot... Thanks for the hard work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Really Like Linux Mint Debian XFCE

Post by tdockery97 »

Once it's set up properly, Mint Debian is the most stable Mint version IMO.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I've recently been trying out LMDE Xfce. It's pretty good in most respects, but taken in the round not as good as Gnome for my purposes. For example, I like to use the keyboard instead of the mouse wherever possible, to launch applications and toggle features, which seems to be more difficult with Xfce. Moreover, remapping of keyboard keys, such as the Win key, appears to be impossible in Xfce. Also, Xfce makes a complete and uneditable mess of my carefully constructed start menu.
supergoo

Post by supergoo »

When LMDE first came out it was the stock Gnome, nothing wrong with it , I like the XFCE interface a little better. But thats the great thing choice. I thought I saw somewhere they are going to do a KDE version on LMDE, I am not a huge fan of KDE, but I wonder how many people are waiting for that ? I really think that the Linux Mint Team have hit upon a great idea here with the LMDE version. I am excited to see what the future holds.

Supergoo
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Brian49 wrote:I've recently been trying out LMDE Xfce. It's pretty good in most respects, but taken in the round not as good as Gnome for my purposes. For example, I like to use the keyboard instead of the mouse wherever possible, to launch applications and toggle features, which seems to be more difficult with Xfce. Moreover, remapping of keyboard keys, such as the Win key, appears to be impossible in Xfce. Also, Xfce makes a complete and uneditable mess of my carefully constructed start menu.
The "Win Key" is the "Super Key" and remapping it is just a matter of going to Applications>Settings>Keyboard: Application Shortcuts Tab. Then setting it for whatever you need in Xfce.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Beardedragon wrote:The "Win Key" is the "Super Key" and remapping it is just a matter of going to Applications>Settings>Keyboard: Application Shortcuts Tab. Then setting it for whatever you need in Xfce.
I looked hard for something like that in the keyboard settings, but didn't find it. The reason may be that I didn't do a fresh install of LMDE Xfce, but installed the recommended Xfce components via Synaptic alongside my existing Gnome desktop, then logged out and switched to it.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

tdockery97 wrote:Once it's set up properly, Mint Debian is the most stable Mint version IMO.
The most stable version of Mint there ever was, or ever will be, is #10.
If you want to ride the coattail of Debian Pure, the easiest and most stable is SalineOS.
OH ! IMO :mrgreen:
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Brian49 wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:The "Win Key" is the "Super Key" and remapping it is just a matter of going to Applications>Settings>Keyboard: Application Shortcuts Tab. Then setting it for whatever you need in Xfce.
I looked hard for something like that in the keyboard settings, but didn't find it. The reason may be that I didn't do a fresh install of LMDE Xfce, but installed the recommended Xfce components via Synaptic alongside my existing Gnome desktop, then logged out and switched to it.
If it is not in there, check in Synaptic, search "xfce4" looking for xfce4-settings and perhaps xfce4-goodies. After install check menu again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”