checkgmail broke again

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

Re: checkgmail broke again

Post by rtrev »

xircon wrote:Try sudo checkgmail -update worked for me.

This script is exactly the same as mine I think, but I poached mine of the web and didn't install it from the repo. The repo version brings up the same config dialog! But my password is now encrypted because I installed the repo version and dependancies, oh well :)
Nope.. got some other dialog, and got a chance to set up checkgmail again, but it still trips up over validating the password and gives the same gmail_ik message.

Again, thanks much for hanging in with me. Looks like something else is wrong here, and I can't even guess.... :mrgreen:
xircon

Post by xircon »

Oh well, back to my trials with lightdm :)
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Yes, and I managed to reinstall google-chrome-unstable with Mail Checker Plus for Google Mail and now it now longer causes any problems with browser re-start.

So, I'm happy with this setup. Mail Checker Plus is very nice.

Good luck with lightdm. :D
xircon

Post by xircon »

There is also a gmail screenlet for the desktop.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

xircon wrote:There is also a gmail screenlet for the desktop.
Thanks.. that sounds interesting.. I'll go take a peek!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

rtrev wrote:
Wow, I thought we had it that time, but...

Code: Select all

OK to update to new version via 'sudo mv checkgmail /usr/bin/'?(Y/n)> Y
chmod a+x checkgmail
sudo mv checkgmail /usr/bin/
[sudo] password for bob: 

Restarting checkgmail ...
Warning: Gtk2::Sexy not found ...

CheckGmail uses Gtk2::Sexy for clickable URLs in mail messages
Please download and install from CPAN (http://search.cpan.org) if you want to use this feature ...

Unable to find gmail_ik ... full message text won't work :(

Unable to find gmail_ik ... full message text won't work :(

Perl exited with active threads:
	1 running and unjoined
	0 finished and unjoined
	0 running and detached
Maybe today isn't my day for trying these things. :roll: DO appreciate your help though!!
I started getting the same error message as rtrev yesterday. I have updated checkgmail but it still won't work. Anybody got any updates on this?
Incidentally checkgmail is installed on all four of my distros and it is broken on every one so I guess the problem is with google changing something again.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have found a workround for this which gets checkgmail going again. This is it:

1) Go here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=738663 and download checkgmail.patch.

2) Run the following command:

sudo patch /usr/bin/checkgmail  full path to downloaded patch file
It then works.
Daemons

Post by Daemons »

viking777 wrote:I have found a workround for this which gets checkgmail going again. This is it:

1) Go here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=738663 and download checkgmail.patch.

2) Run the following command:

sudo patch /usr/bin/checkgmail  full path to downloaded patch file
It then works.
Excellent. Works great. Must do the checkgmail -update first though.

Works on all my PCs. Thanks to whoever made this patch.

Marc
xircon

Post by xircon »

Even stranger - mine is still working, though I am not running the version from the repo.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but mine is 64-bit.

My system disk died last night so I'm doing a clean install later. Haven't tried last fix yet. On my laptop...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

rtrev wrote:I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but mine is 64-bit.

My system disk died last night so I'm doing a clean install later. Haven't tried last fix yet. On my laptop...
Good thought rtrev, but I have both 64bit and 32bit and they were both broken.
xircon

Post by xircon »

64 bit here, but it is a perl script, hence *should* be architechture agnostic.
Sassinak

Post by Sassinak »

Hmmm. Patch and update didn't work for me. 64-bit. Is the problem distro/release -specific ?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Sassinak wrote:Hmmm. Patch and update didn't work for me. 64-bit. Is the problem distro/release -specific ?
It is not patch and update it is update and patch if you see what I mean. In other words update first, patch second. I have done it on 4 different OS's both 64 bit and 32 bit and it has always worked for me.

Edit. Just one quick thought. When you did the checkgmail update it will ask you if you want to continue with the update and will offer the usual Y/n choice> if you type a lower case 'y' - which is what I would normally do - the update fails, although that is not terribly obvious. You have to type an upper case Y for the update to succeed. There are very few programs that I know of where that is the case.
Last edited by viking777 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sassinak

Post by Sassinak »

Aaaaaah. Thanks. That worked !
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

In situations like this, is it generally safe to assume that the fully fixed version will show up in the repository eventually?

Same question with Chrome not running under Xfce. Anybody got an inside track on the attempts, if any, to fix that?

Thank,
Bob
Sassinak

Post by Sassinak »

Or how 'bout that horrible gmail gadget for iGoogle they seemed to have deliberately botched so users would switch to G+ ?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Mine eventually borked, was working fine at 11:30pm last night, wasn't working this morning - go figure :lol:

Patch applied (thanks Viking), all working again.
cooleric1234

Post by cooleric1234 »

I had checkgmail break recently but what worked for me is to add the -no_cookies option. Works fine now. I don't see an option for sound notifications though.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Inkit wrote:Just a suggestion, but why not use thunderbird. You can configure it any which way you like and you can work offline too.
I concur. My Thunderbird setup checks gmail every ten minutes. Plus it checks all my other accounts as I specified during setup.

I get an audio announcement if any new mail is present. Did I miss something?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm

Return to “LMDE Archive”