Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teejay17

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Post by teejay17 »

kvv wrote:Hello and welcome.

1. Linux Mint is going to use Gnome 3 in it's next release according to it's main developer Clem. It won't ship Gnome Shell by default but it will most likely be available in the repo.
So Mint 12, for all intents and purposes, will look and act like Mint 11 currently does?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes. It won't be 100% the same but at least it will be familiar for Mint 9/10/11 users.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
teejay17

Post by teejay17 »

AlbertP wrote:Yes. It won't be 100% the same but at least it will be familiar for Mint 9/10/11 users.
That will be nice.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

AlbertP wrote:Yes. It won't be 100% the same but at least it will be familiar for Mint 9/10/11 users.
"could" or "should" be familiar is more correct, I guess. Nobody really knows how Mint 12 will be. What Clem says in the blog don't give some hints. He just says we can have anything, even GNOME 3 and GNOME 2, nothing is fixed, no choose is done, "we’ll take our time" etc. So, for now, we know nothing or almost.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

We don't know yet which desktop is used, but we know that Clem wants to customize the desktop that way, that the Mint users like it. And after reading lots of posts on the forum since I registered here in January, I am sure that this will at least contain a panel on the bottom with a menu, like we used to have for years.

After so much people have said that they like the traditional desktop, Clem has no choice but to make something that looks familiar for the users of past releases (and perhaps for Windows users too).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
teejay17

Post by teejay17 »

Does anyone know when 12 will be released? How long after Ubuntu 11.10? The interval may foretell what is taking place under the hood of Mint.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint is normally released about one month after Ubuntu. Mint 12 should be released approximately the last part of November this year.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”