Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
osama_m2s

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by osama_m2s »

Hiiiiiiiii all
am osama and i recently installing the linux mint 11 katya

and when i get update manager

a lot of Updates wont to download it say Failed !!!!

ee the photo here
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/ ... shot-4.png

where is the Error :shock:
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

jaspmatt wrote:This solution works and is a lot easier than falling back to Mint 10:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html
Thanks for the link, was having problem with Compiz, followed it to the T and its worked beautifully. The one thing I wanted to work and missed terribly was the cube (different apps on different desktop) Its amazing how useful the spinning cube is and how much I missed it when it was gone!!!
veronx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by veronx »

good work , iam using this after fedora 15 and ubuntu 11.04 and it's faster ,easier and better :-)

greetings from central Poland
CyberJay

Post by CyberJay »

glas wrote:The file manger window when opened stays stuck in the top left corner with the task bar out of view. Can't move it or shut it off.

The multiple desktops windows don't work - seems frozen or something.
Yep, exact same GUI problems here! And the dual-boot menu suddenly stopped appearing, and now I'm back to a Windows-only system.

I've been using and enjoying Mint since version 7, but since v. 10, bugs in update manager keep screwing with the system, and eventually broke it. So I stopped using Linux, in hopes that v. 11 would no longer be more of a headache than Windows. But I just found another thread that indicates these lousy update glitches continue!

I'm really disappointed, as I thought long ago, I'd be able to kiss Windows goodbye. But thanks to all these recent glitches, I can't say I'm much of a Linux fan any more. Now, it's more like choosing between two hells: Windows or Linsux?

Oh, and don't get me started w/Compiz! I set my "cube" with 4 sides, but whenever I rotate it, the sides are infinite...gaaaah!
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

CyberJay wrote:...
Yep, exact same GUI problems here! And the dual-boot menu suddenly stopped appearing, and now I'm back to a Windows-only system. ...

I've been using and enjoying Mint since version 7, but since v. 10, bugs in update manager keep screwing with the system...

Oh, and don't get me started w/Compiz! I set my "cube" with 4 sides, but whenever I rotate it, the sides are infinite...gaaaah!
Lucky for me, no problems dual-booting Mint 11 main edition or Win 7.
What bugs? Update manager works just fine though I wish there was a way to let us know the total size of the updates we select. The reason I would like to know is that I have two internet accounts, one capped (at 1 GB (up/down) per month) and the other "unlimited". If downloads are large, I'd rather switch to the "unlimited" account.

Never tried Compiz. I was playing with it a bit but I had an issue with LibreOffice and so now I choose Gnome [no effects].

Overall, no need to boot into Win 7 for me.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I know that this is a 'Katya' thread, but if someboby, such as CyberJay, has such big problems with Mint 10 & 11, why not stick with Mint 9 LTS? You can do everything that Mint 11 does on Mint 9, it is stable, will be supported for longer and works.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

osama_m2s wrote:Hiiiiiiiii all
am osama and i recently installing the linux mint 11 katya

and when i get update manager

a lot of Updates wont to download it say Failed !!!!

ee the photo here
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/ ... shot-4.png

where is the Error :shock:
The 'refresh' of the updater always shows many 'failed' errors. This is normal. When the updater is ready refreshing, you get the real updates - and those updates don't fail.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Congratulations on the new release! I'm so willing to try!
Brad1974

Post by Brad1974 »

I am having difficulties w/ getting sound from both a desktop motherboard and/or my soundcard. Anyone got any ideas. The soundcard is a Diamond Extreme sound and the motherboard is a Gigabyte G31M-S2L
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Brad,

You would be much better off if you open a thread in the "Newbie Questions" forum - you are unlikely to get much in the way of support by posting in this thread.
Brad1974

Post by Brad1974 »

k thx
OrthoSteven

Post by OrthoSteven »

After two years and several release of Ubuntu I have decided to give Linux Mint a spin. As crazy as this sounds I actually like Unity, but after a couple of software upgrades I broke the launcher and could not get it fixed, maybe 11.10 will have the gremlins worked out? I wanted a distro with recent version of software, codecs and multimedia and the reviews of Linux Mint made it an easy choice. Got my computer rebuilt and so far all is good, looking forward to many months of happy computing :-)
emiel289

Post by emiel289 »

Live CD Mint 11 OsDisc install worked a treat. Sound problems from Mint 10 cured!!Can't get the Mint 11 repository disc NO 1 to start the downloading. Tried solutions in ReadMe ; but end up going around in a circle. Any-body had this problem and got the solution?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

@ emiel289;-

Try putting a post in either the "Newbie" or "Installation" forum and ask for help there with a little more description of your problem. This thread isn't intended for help and support and many people won't bother checking it for that very reason.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Many thanks to the Mint developers for 11. I began with 7 (Gloria) over 2 years ago, skipped 8 for the most part, stayed with 9 LTS for some time, skipped 10 (as with 8), and now am at 11. I love it!

Mint 10 wasn't enough to lure me away from 9 LTS, but 11 was. More choices, Firefox updates to the current version, 64 bit Flash seems to be working well (I just switched to 64 bit a week ago). A very modern OS, good enough for beginners & skilled alike. With around 30,000 apps to choose from, how could anyone not like it at first sight? Plus, if FF is the reason for those not wanting to switch, Opera & Google Chrome (my choice of browser) are both easily installed.

An excellent OS!

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
Larkshall

Post by Larkshall »

demilord wrote:I switched from ubuntu,, I couldnt get into unity, I just miss the taskbar.. and find the classic gnome, has lots of bugs... and not streamlined...
This is my reason also for switching to Mint, after using Ubuntu for five years. I have two laptops, Acer 5101 and Acer 5742. I have been using the older one (5101) for experimenting with various distro's. Having got thoroughly used to Ubuntu, I decided that Mint was really the only way to go. I am now happy to install it on the 5742.

Edit: One problem I have, is not being able to synchronise my files on Ubuntu One. Any one have any ideas.
maestrofix

Post by maestrofix »

Im trying to install from the dvd, and everything goes smooth. but suddenly it asks for username and password!!! i havent used any login info.. so how i can fix that? :?:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The installer asks you to choose a username and password. Just fill in anything you like. Mint will use that username and password after the installation.
chocochipmint

Post by chocochipmint »

Hi All,

New to the Mint forums and new Linux Mint.. I'm a longtime Ubuntu user and after 2 weeks of using Mint I find myself wondering how I lived mylife before Mint... I am loving this beautiful/well-built/thought-out distro! ..did someone say "Distro-of-the-Year" ?!

/~choco
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint 10 has been named Distro of the Year 2010 somewhere. I don't remember anymore on which website I've seen this.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”