[SOLVED] how to custom compile lmde kernel / vgaswitcheroo

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
krushaaa

[SOLVED] how to custom compile lmde kernel / vgaswitcheroo

Post by krushaaa »

Hey folks,

I would really like to know whether the standard lmde kernel has vgaswitcheroo enabled, and if it has not I would really appreciate a HowTo for compiling the kernel with that module enabled.

Edit:
well after using the live usb stick i can say for sure there is no vgasitcheroo loaded like in ubuntu or fedora.

well now i will need help for my second question :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: how to custom compile lmde kernel

Post by DrHu »

To compile a kernel, either new or patched or otherwise, you really have to fiollow any guides available, so you would be reading Debian methods, since LMDE is based from Debian, and their methods should apply
  • Excepting any Mint added features or changes
    --however most of these Linux distributions use a standard kernel and add modules so as to not mismatch with the upstream(parent) developers (Debian in this case..)
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
  • It is always a careful step-by-step procedure
    --but if you do attempt it, you will fairly clearly see the process: overall
When you get to the menuconfig part, this then becomes easy, what do you need compiled into the kernel, your custom kernel ?
krushaaa

Re: how to custom compile lmde kernel

Post by krushaaa »

Hey,

thanks for the links and everything. I did install lmde now and it seams that the vgaswitcheroo module did not load when using the live testing (the usual problem, it's not loading all the time). so it is enabled in every standard kernel now. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”