cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Respins Approved for stable release.

Post by cecar »

Yepp..

Soon on a server near you.. :)

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Respins Approved for stable release.

Post by Carl »

they've been there a while :wink:

Now how about that update pack 3 for us latest repo people :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Carl wrote:they've been there a while :wink:
8) cheers for not telling us :lol:
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

zerozero wrote:
Carl wrote:they've been there a while :wink:
8) cheers for not telling us :lol:
Sorry :oops: :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jokin 8)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

zerozero wrote:jokin 8)
I know :wink:
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Sorry, I feel like this has been answered before, but I did some searching and couldn't find it.

Does anyone know why the 32-bit ISO is larger than 64-bit? Just curious.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've already downloaded LMDE 64-bit and both burned to a DVD and wrote to a thumb drive via Unetbootin. Neither one will boot. Booting from a thumb drive fails at loading the nouveau driver (locks up and I have to force a power off of the computer) and the DVD fails at the Isolinux boot:
ISOLINUX: Disk error 80, AX = 4290, EF
Boot failed: Press a key to continue
My LMDE RC (2011/08) DVD boots fine, by the way.

The 64 bit builds are smaller in size than the 32 bit builds but so were the previous versions of LMDE/LMDE-XFCE. Either way, I can't boot the final. Bad download? Bad burn? I'm going try a fresh 64-bit download and see what happens. Has anyone else download the 64-bit final and attempted to boot it yet?

Update: Yup, bad download. New download burns/writes and boots up off of DVD and thumb drive without a problem.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

kmb42vt wrote:I've already downloaded LMDE 64-bit and both burned to a DVD and wrote to a thumb drive via Unetbootin. Neither one will boot. Booting from a thumb drive fails at loading the nouveau driver (locks up and I have to force a power off of the computer) and the DVD fails at the Isolinux boot:

The 64 bit builds are smaller in size than the 32 bit builds but so were the previous versions of LMDE/LMDE-XFCE. Either way, I can't boot the final. Bad download? Bad burn? I'm going try a fresh 64-bit download and see what happens. Has anyone else download the 64-bit final and attempted to boot it yet?
Yup, running it on my netbook right now. Probably a bad download.

Encountered my first broken package, though on an install, not an update. XBMC (the fantastically famed media center) won't install because a bunch of dependencies aren't there.

Edit: able to install it once I switched to debian testing repos real quick. Probably because the multimedia repo is based off of current testing, whereas the other (latest) repo is based off of testing from a while ago. I know that the incoming group now has linuxmint-specific security and multimedia repos, I hope that the latest group will gain these as well. This would solve this discontinuity.
Last edited by LifeInTheGrey on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
Jake Alex

Post by Jake Alex »

Hello

Linux Mint Debian 201109 32 bit (Heanet server) - running it as Live
DVD (nvidia) and installed on my laptop (intel) - no problems
Nvidia video card - 9400 GT

I have tested the new respin iso 201109 32 bit on both PC -nvidia chipset
but did not installed it on the hard drive. I installed the new respin
iso on my laptop intel chipset. Everything went good from the beginning
of the installation to the desktop ready. Of course i needed myspell for
Libreoffice and startupmanager for other Grub OS's (choice)

So far:

8 updates done
Sources list pointing to the latest (repos) and not modified
Updates per month - i prefer this way

wireless - ok
bluetooth not tested yet

Missing apps - automatic video card installer for NVidia and ATI cards

Installation was made in English Language because i want to learn English
Time Zone and keyboard language set for my country

Don't worry fellows - I know about the known problems (Mint- Upstream)
For me they don't make any difference - unlock login screen, beep, etc.

I've read Clem"s comments on the community Website - Iso testing topic

Just a suggestion for Clem:

Clem i know you're very busy and almost all the time you sound like one man band
When are you going to port Ubuntu's Jockey to LM Debian?
Or to write a software or even buy it from a good programmer(s) (order)
Sorry to say that but i think the Linux Mint Debian's users need a software to
install automatically the video cards drivers like we do on Linux Mint editions
based on Ubuntu's.

Cheers
Muito Obrigado

Jake
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:I've already downloaded LMDE 64-bit and both burned to a DVD and wrote to a thumb drive via Unetbootin. Neither one will boot. Booting from a thumb drive fails at loading the nouveau driver (locks up and I have to force a power off of the computer) and the DVD fails at the Isolinux boot:

Yup, running it on my netbook right now. Probably a bad download.

Encountered my first broken package, though on an install, not an update. XBMC (the fantastically famed media center) won't install because a bunch of dependencies aren't there.

Edit: able to install it once I switched to debian testing repos real quick. Probably because the multimedia repo is based off of current testing, whereas the other (latest) repo is based off of testing from a while ago. I know that the incoming group now has linuxmint-specific security and multimedia repos, I hope that the latest group will gain these as well. This would solve this discontinuity.
Yup, bad download. New download burns/writes and boots up via DVD and thumb drive without a problem. Thanks for confirming.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

LifeInTheGrey wrote: Encountered my first broken package, though on an install, not an update. XBMC (the fantastically famed media center) won't install because a bunch of dependencies aren't there.

my take on Clem's comment's is that, with update-pack3, multimedia and security will be in sync with the mint mirror repos, basically what happened with incoming when up3 arrived
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I installed from the final re-spin today, zerozero...since i am not fond of manual installers, i left my mint 11 partitions exactly the same (including swap) and just edited and had it install LMDE over my Mint 11 partition...after re-booting, the swap works fine...so Clem definitely fixed that in the final...this was the first time swap worked for me when installing LMDE where the swap worked without further intervention... :)

Seems to be running very smooth and looks like most of the bugs on the RC were fixed... :wink:

By the way, i'll be using the default and have it track "latest"....should just using the mint updater be ok now? Is it reliable enough now not to have to use the terminal?
Also, if you do it in terminal, does it just update to your preset or does it update like you were tracking debian testing directly?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Mintupdate-Debian is much improved over the old MU and is now a tool prepared to handle the rolling nature of LMDE;
afaik there's no difference between using MU-debian or the terminal;
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:Mintupdate-Debian is much improved over the old MU and is now a tool prepared to handle the rolling nature of LMDE;
It is indeed!

There actually is a type of difference between using MU-Debian and the terminal (apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get upgrade or updating via Synaptic). For example, right now if you try updating via the terminal of Synaptic you'll see that 'Mplayer' has an update but is being held back. MU-Debian does not show this package at all as an update. Apparently, MU-Debian is now smart enough not to show these type of package updates at all. This above is the same for my LMDE RC install with all repos tracking "incoming".

I agree that the update result should be the same no matter what you use but it might be a tad bit confusing to newer users. Using the terminal or Synaptic will show you everything that's going on behind the scenes as it were.

Just sayin' (meaning: being extremely picky about things). :D
Last edited by kmb42vt on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

zerozero wrote:Mintupdate-Debian is much improved over the old MU and is now a tool prepared to handle the rolling nature of LMDE;
Great :D Very Cool 8)
That's what i will be using then :wink:

kmb42vt...thanks for the info...i understand what you are saying...well, as long as the updater won't break like it use to (you know the "fix broken packages" stuff)...then i will be very content to just use mint updater pointed to "latest" (for hopefully, best reliability)...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb, i know that, for example last time i checked my incoming install, mu-debian reported the system as fully updated but the terminal gave me foomatic-db-engine as held back, right now here in testing, MU-debian says my system is upto date but

Code: Select all

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
the question is, does this matter to a normal user:
yeahh, there's some pkgs to upgrade, but because of some unresolved dependencies, sorry, you can't get them :lol:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:kmb, i know that, for example last time i checked my incoming install, mu-debian reported the system as fully updated but the terminal gave me foomatic-db-engine as held back, right now here in testing, MU-debian says my system is upto date but

Code: Select all

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
the question is, does this matter to a normal user:
yeahh, there's some pkgs to upgrade, but because of some unresolved dependencies, sorry, you can't get them :lol:
Heh, of course you know that. :D Like I said, I was just being picky. Have a bad cold right now so I'm feeling quite sensitive. :roll: By the way, I have "officially" replaced LM 11 with LMDE as my main OS. Not that it means anything but I felt the need to say it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: wasn't intended to sound rude :oops: not being an english native speaker has these issues sometimes, we miss hidden nuances :D

anyway, that "upgrade" :lol: (because it is) from LM11 to LMDE calls for a celebration 8)

Return to “LMDE Archive”