Why does DECnet node want to change my MAC address. (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Why does DECnet node want to change my MAC address. (Solved)

Post by det4100 »

I'm a little confused about the necessity of having the DECnet configuration program to default to changing the MAC address of my ethernet card. One would think that after the initial install of the libdnet package, any future updates would retain the same configuration. After some research, I'm still a little fuzzy on understanding why I would even require DECnet since, (I assume) most, if not all of my network communications travel over the TCP/IP stack. My network is a simple one router muti-PC Linux/windows SAMBA-shares setup. Unless DECnet is used by programs such as RhythmBox for media sharing??? I have assigned IP addresses for all of my machines, so this change in MAC address is causing havoc with SAMBA and my router. I guess my question is, do I have to run the DECnet config program to successfully update this package, and do I need this "network protocol" or did I inadvertently install it at some time and it is not necessary?

det4100
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Gerd50

Re: Why does DECnet node want to change my MAC address.

Post by Gerd50 »

It's not only you who is confused about it. This package came in some weeks ago.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... et#p457295

Today it was updated with the same result as weeks ago. Configure now means new mac adress(es) with the result
network connections are dead.

I deinstalled dnet-common after this package still seems to be buggy.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I deinstalled dnet-common after this package still seems to be buggy.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I just want to be sure I don't need it for some obscure network thingamabob that I might be using.

It's just a hassle reassigning IP addresses and rechecking host files and such in case I confuse the machines with one another.

det4100

edit - I looked at that post also. It mentioned the problem but didn't go into much detail.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
ellipse55

Post by ellipse55 »

I had the same problem, and was able to fix it using the information found in this post and its comments:
http://www.fantaghost.com/2010/06/eth0- ... 004000a04/

Best, Pierre.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I owe you a cold glass of your favorite beverage Pierre. Solved that problem. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “LMDE Archive”