Dual boot on Android

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
zmindless

Dual boot on Android

Post by zmindless »

hi,

I'd like to be able to dual boot my Android phone to Mint to be able to hook it up with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use video-out to hook up some TV or monitor to it and use it like a lightweight laptop! I've seen somebody tried this with Ubuntu and succeeded somewhat.
ThistleWeb

Re: Dual boot on Android

Post by ThistleWeb »

Mint or Ubuntu as a dual boot on a smartphone? It's totally different architecture. Phones and tablets are ARM, regular distros don't come built for ARM. There are videos of people getting Ubuntu working to some degree on a tablet but it's a million miles from just downloading, and burning an iso. Apart from the CPU, the UI is totally different, and touch / non-touch. If that wasn't enough, phones are not generic hardware. They are at the stage regular PC hardware used to be at, where every vendor is closed.
zmindless

Post by zmindless »

I understand it's ARM but there's many distros for ARM around! For the touch/non touch part: It's not so important if the plan is to use external mouse, keyboard and monitor in the first place!
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Sorry I forgot the part about the peripherals. I must be missing something, I've not seen any ARM distros, could you give us some examples? All I see are lots of Android builds for specific phones because the hardware isn't generic. It may be possible to do what you are trying to do, but it won't be easy, and I'm guessing require a lot of trial and error.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”