Help with GDE clock widget

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Help with GDE clock widget

Postby kornesque on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 am

After dabbling in Python for a bit now, I've been wanting to figure out how to modify the taskbar clock in such a way that it will display the Julian date, maybe with a mouseover. I spent some time in GitHub looking at various modules and realized I'm not entirely sure as to where I'd find this fuction. If anybody could point me in the right direction whether by telling me which code I'm looking for or providing instruction that would help me understand the structure of the source better, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Looking forward to a long relationship with a finely polished OS!
kornesque
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help with GDE clock widget

Postby kornesque on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm

OK, so after much digging and thinking, I remembered that Mint is based on Gnome and that the code I'm looking to manipulate is probably going to be located there.

Cruising around the Gnome site led to the discovery of the repositories and the developer guides for the modules/libraries. I found glib/gdate.c appears to contain the function I'm looking for, namely GDate(*). This is all written in C+ which I do not speak, but my very limited Python-ese allows me to pick some details out. There's also a related file (gdate.h) that I haven't dug into yet, but I'm hoping it provides more details as gdate.c appears to just call other functions to run.

I've never attempted to link to C+ libraries, so at this point if anybody can tell me whether I'm at least on the right track would help out a lot. I'll keep poking around - hopefully this gets somewhere.

Thanks.
kornesque
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Code & Patches