A thought about Mint 10 Julia, Gnome3, Unity

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

A thought about Mint 10 Julia, Gnome3, Unity

Post by donlinux »

So far, I don't like gnome3 and I don't like Unity. I've tried Xfce and LMDE and while both are good, neither are as polished and as stable as gnome2 on mint 10.
I have over 20 associates, friends and family running Mint 10, they all positively love it. I also run my corporation on it as well.

Considering all the turmoil that surrounds gnome3 and the Unity desktop and, considering the polish, stability and overall "it just works" of mint 10. I would like to officially suggest that mint 10 be reassigned as a LTS edition.

Input from people smarter than me regarding this is, as always, welcomed.

Thanks,
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: A thought about Mint 10 Julia, Gnome3, Unity

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps a good suggestion, but as pointed out on various treads--we don't yet know what Linux Mint 12 will end up looking like. It should see light of day this year, let's just wait what it brings. Clem shared that research on Gnome 3 has started a while back, and showed great promise of changing it to the "Mint" way :wink:

What you have seen so far from Gnome 3 Shell is the stock Gnome 3 Shell, as released by the Gnome team. Linux Mint 10 doesn't come with stock Gnome 2, and Linux Mint 12 won't come with stock Gnome 3 Shell (if even moving to Gnome 3 Shell, that hasn't been decided yet AFAIK). Various distros and teams are making modifications for Gnome 3 Shell, and that was the purpose of Gnome 3--easier modification and extension. We just haven't seen a distro yet with showing what is possible with Gnome 3 and its CSS/javascript based extendability.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I loved mint 10 also and came here to get away from unity and the gnome 3 threat, but then I decided to give gnome 3 a whirl and it works nice for me, it still needs some polishing up in the gtk 3 part as from a themers point of view it is limited, but supposedly they are changing that in gnome 3.2 or at least some parts of it.
It can be adaptable and I can see how distros can change it easily to have what they want on it.
One thing I like is using css instead now and javascript, its more web based apps instead which leaves room for a lot of folks with limited programming abilities to hop on board. It should be interesting to see what distros do with it.
But I can understand where your coming from, it all worked nice in the way it was always laid out then they go and change everything on us now everyone has to get used to a new way of doing things, sometimes its a good thing sometimes its not.
I actually like gnome 3 now that I've gotten used to it and fooled around with it quite a bit, the wife loves it also.
If you want to keep mint 10 and it runs good then keep on using it :)
As long as you don't need any updates that run new software or hardware and it all works good then stick with it, I know some folks keep the same linux edition for years and it does what they need it to do.
Me I didn't want to move from gnome 2 at all, I loved themeing for gnome 2 but now I can do a lot more with the shell then I could ever do with gnome 2 so from a themers point of view gnome 3 is a good thing, as long as they add more stuff in the gtk3 its all good. :)
As far as navigating goes, I use cairo dock which I also used in gnome 2 so navigating has never been an issue for me.
Unity though, I still don't like it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

samriggs wrote:I loved mint 10 also and came here to get away from unity and the gnome 3 threat, but then I decided to give gnome 3 a whirl and it works nice for me, it still needs some polishing up in the gtk 3 part as from a themers point of view it is limited, but supposedly they are changing that in gnome 3.2 or at least some parts of it.
Gnome 3.1.91.1 has one-click function for installing extensions for Gnome 3: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/gnome-sh ... h-one.html

Gnome 3.2 I will give another spin :mrgreen:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

cool getting better and better, I can see this really taking off hopefully the gnome 3.3 will have everything including more images allowed in the gtk3 and repeat on background images and opacity on images then I'll really be happy :D
I guess no more going into extensions and fidging around with them anymore unless I want to change the code to my liking .
There going to make it so I'm going to get bored soon :lol:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”