Mint Smart Bar |Mint Saral Bar | Mint Awesome Bar

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
sunewbie

Mint Smart Bar |Mint Saral Bar | Mint Awesome Bar

Post by sunewbie »

Hello All,

Encouraged by ‘There are no such things as "stupid" questions’ in newbie section'. I got courage to give an idea :) i.e. to request for a multi utility (universal) keyboard launcher app with search bar interface.

Mint Smart Bar | Mint Saral Bar | Mint Awesome Bar | Mint Convenience Bar

(Saral means simple, easy, straight forward)

I am an end user and like KISS (Keep It Straight an Simple) Policy.

End users try to avoid terminal because of Terminal – phobia. They do not like to remember too many commands. On the other hand, terminal is easy and gets job done faster.

I got an idea about Smart Bar. It has a search bar (like google search) interface similar to Gnome-do, Launchy and ‘Run Everything’ of E17 DE. But contains more features and may even have capacity to replace DE.

You can...

1. Change system settings (atleast some)
2. Launch / Install / Uninstall applications
3. Search Net
4. Shut down, Reboot, Log Off, Switch User
and more ...

This filter is a dynamic filter with key words, auto-complete feature and searches database for the words being typed (Like Software Center).

A proper master data file with maximum similar words and terminology (along with brief explanation – if possible) should be made, using maximum keywords.

If terminologies for Different versions of Linux / Windows / Mac like (system monitor, task manager) are combined together (using keywords), than it will be very easy for new users to get used to the terminology of Linux.

e.g.

1. Change Settings:

e.g.
Change mouse to left handed, simply type.
mouse left

No need to go to settings, mouse, and change it through GUI.

e.g.

To open System Monitor simply type

System monitor or Task manager (as called in Windows).
It will also show brief description when the word is typed.

Change resolution: Simply type Resolution and drop down option will shows all possible resolutions. Select the one you need, press enter and it’s done.

Type Opera to launch ‘Opera’. Also shows very brief description (preferably one line)
Type Install opera to install
Type uninstall opera or remove opera or purge opera to uninstall Opera.

Type writer or word or document to launch LibreOffice Writer
(This shows Libre Office Writer with keywords showing word processor, document processor, writer.)

3. Search Internet

Type firefox:g Linux Mint

This will search google (g shortcut for google) for search string ‘Linux Mint'

4. Shut down, Reboot, Log Off, Switch User

Simply type these words and hit enter.

--

Idea is:

Fast, Easy and fun way to get job done. Use Less Mouse

No Need to remember commands

Avoid Typing blunders, due to dynamic Drop Down filter showing options.

Windows Switch-overs and Newbies will be more comfortable during first use. Most of us think that OS and GUI should be self-explaining and who do not devote much time to search on or read instruction manual - Typical End Users - consider this attitude for spreading it to atleast home desktops.

Minimalist approach. May save mbs in Ram and use it for resource intensive apps. I believe that RAM should not be eaten up by DE but should be available for apps /Softwares.

--

Don’t know how much this idea is practical or useful or needed by other users.

Experts' opinion might throw some light on this.

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint Smart Bar |Mint Saral Bar | Mint Awesome Bar

Post by xenopeek »

sunewbie wrote:1. Change Settings:

e.g.
Change mouse to left handed, simply type.
mouse left

No need to go to settings, mouse, and change it through GUI.

e.g.

To open System Monitor simply type

System monitor or Task manager (as called in Windows).
It will also show brief description when the word is typed.

Change resolution: Simply type Resolution and drop down option will shows all possible resolutions. Select the one you need, press enter and it’s done.
I don't get it... This is for people who can't remember simple commands for the terminal? This sounds like something for users who are confident with a terminal, they might actually like this :D But average Joe and Jill won't be able to remember these kind of commands either, just let them use the GUI applications for this (at least you can click around until you find what you need).
Sure, but for launching applications you can just hit Alt+F2 and type the name of the application. Uh, and as for installing or unstalling an application, you could also do this with Alt+F2 if you put some aliases in your /etc/bash.bashrc file. (Like alias install="gksudo apt-get install".)

I think I'm not clear about your target audience for this. People who are confident with computers might like it, but the "end users" you are talking about--i.e. the people for which the computer is a tool to get their actual work / hobby / wasting of time done, and who don't care a newt's behind about how it works--I think this won't help (even with a manual, which they won't bother to read as usual). For example, DuckDuckGo (search engine) has a very simple inferface where you can type what you want to search for, but it also has something called command !bangs which will save you lots of time and make you search and find faster. Try explaining it to average Joe and Jill and see what they can recall a week later. Even though it is faster and easier to search and find, the hurdle to actually learn something instead of just randomly clicking and mooing around is too big.

I do like your suggestion, but if I'm liking it you should be worried because I do like the terminal :mrgreen:
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I don't get it... This is for people who can't remember simple commands for the terminal? This sounds like something for users who are confident with a terminal, they might actually like this
May be I have not framed things properly.
these are not commands. If you want to change mouse from right to left, all you need to do is type mouse (this is not a command).
Drop down shows option of mouse left, mouse right, etc. (other options if possible or give an option to open mouse settings menu).

You can even type, change mouse from right to left and DD menu shows these options like mouse left (these are just my words, it can be change mouse to left handed, or any other thing). - well if you do like my way and would go ahead to make one, do give credit to me by using my coined words ;) :D . Jokes apart, I know this may sound too childish or it's just for lazy ones. But it may remove terminal phobia. Who knows, after getting familiar, they shift to terminal !

On lighter note, my 8 year nephew likes GUI of Ubuntu with extra effects enabled. He grab window and moves the mouse. The jelly effect makes him giggle every time he does it. :D.
launching applications you can just hit Alt+F2
Hitting alt-F2, can launch programs, and even Gnome-do can do this work, but people, who are not familiar with Linux Terminology don't know what to type.

Like system monitor. They keep searching menus for Task Manager (I did it for 5 mins) and then searched net to know that it is called System Monitor. Also Linux do not have drives, they have mount points. Now drive and mount point sound so different. So these Drop-down are like Office Assistants, which suggests you a proper program which is an alternative for similar windows program. Just like software center gives description of programs.

This may be very demanding and tedious to create. Since I am not a programmer, I do not know weather it is a good or a bad idea.

I just shared thoughts.
I do like your suggestion, but if I'm liking it you should be worried because I do like the terminal
Not at all, if it could be of any help to anybody, I would be happy :)

Being a research guy, I know many times it happens that you may develop a concept and start working on it, but as you progress, the direction completely changes and you end up finding another thing, which you haven't thoughts off :)

I have also found CLI companion, source and screen shots. But it has limited commands.

If something can be picked up by pros, then I would happy :)

On the other end, for using smart bar, if one needs to remember commands (including syntax), then the whole purpose is defeated, it is like packing same thing under different brand. They are already available.
as for installing or unstalling an application, you could also do this with Alt+F2 if you put some aliases in your /etc/bash.bashrc file. (Like alias install="gksudo apt-get install".)
What is an alias?? Frankly, this sounds Chinese to me.

In the terminal, if I forget one backslash '/' or did not gave a space where needed, then it will show error message. This reminded of my school/college days when I used to write a program in Basic to multiply, add numbers. If I forget to add 'Full Stop' after ENDi It would return error that too in code!!!. just like programming 8085 clip to say hello :D ... please smile, don't laugh :D

P.S. I do like to use terminal to install uninstall apps :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sunewbie wrote:
xenopeek wrote:as for installing or unstalling an application, you could also do this with Alt+F2 if you put some aliases in your /etc/bash.bashrc file. (Like alias install="gksudo apt-get install".)
An alias is just that, a command that can be called by another name. You can define aliases in your personal ~/.bashrc file or in the global /etc/bash.bashrc file. Quite useful if you spend time on the terminal and what to shorten some of you frequent commands. Like:

Code: Select all

alias install="gksudo apt-get install"
If you put that line in either of the files mentioned, then if you open a new terminal this alias will be loaded and you can for example install firefox just by giving the command "install firefox" (which through the alias will expand to "gksudo apt-get install firefox"). Anyway, just one example.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Just remembered I got an email from Full Circle Magazine recently, a free online magazine about Ubuntu & Linux in general. Right up your alley I think :D
Hi folks,

Reader Duane Donovan has given me the idea of running a column/series which would be just for Windows users, or for those brand new to Ubuntu. It would take parts of Windows and explain it's *buntu equivalent. I'm going to try and show how things are done using Unity, Gnome, KDE, XFCE and LXDE for each item.

For example, I could show the *buntu equivalent of:

My Computer
C:\ drive
MY Documents/Videos/Pictures
File Properties
Move/Copy a file
Waste/Trash can
Basic commands (eg: dir = ls)

Here's where you come in: what components of Windows would you like to see the *buntu equivalent of, and what would you call this new column/series?

Email your ideas to: ronnie at fullcirclemagazine dot org

If there are enough hints/ ideas then it could start as soon as FCM#54.

Thanks for helping out!

All the best!
Ronnie
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

xenopeek wrote:Just remembered I got an email from Full Circle Magazine recently, a free online magazine about Ubuntu & Linux in general. Right up your alley I think :D
Hi folks,

Reader Duane Donovan ...
Ronnie
Bulls eye. Similar idea was taking shape in my mind. I was thinking of making an excel file (err.. calc file :) ).

Things were not getting syncronized. Non-technical background made it more tough.

I was thinking of making an offline website (so that things can be more organized). bookmarking and emailing links were not enough and not comfortable.

Full circle magazine was too technical for me.

Thanks to you, I will definitely try to contribute the best I can.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

xenopeek wrote:
sunewbie wrote:
xenopeek wrote:as for installing or unstalling an application, you could also do this with Alt+F2 if you put some aliases in your /etc/bash.bashrc file. (Like alias install="gksudo apt-get install".)
An alias is just that, a command that can be called by another name. You can define aliases in your personal ~/.bashrc file or in the global /etc/bash.bashrc file. Quite useful if you spend time on the terminal and what to shorten some of you frequent commands. Like:

Code: Select all

alias install="gksudo apt-get install"
If you put that line in either of the files mentioned, then if you open a new terminal this alias will be loaded and you can for example install firefox just by giving the command "install firefox" (which through the alias will expand to "gksudo apt-get install firefox"). Anyway, just one example.
Thank you xenopeek.

I will try it, in the Ubuntu installed in Virtualbox. I think this is the safe way to experiment new stuff before adding it to the main installed version.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sunewbie wrote:I will try it, in the Ubuntu installed in Virtualbox. I think this is the safe way to experiment new stuff before adding it to the main installed version.
Yes :D I wish more people would try VirtualBox to do some experimenting. I do all my experimenting in VirtualBox :mrgreen:
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hello,

I posted the same in community.

a member named @blueXrider, informed that an app called Launchbar which does same thing exists for Mac OS

@blueXrider
Conceptional appealing by a new user stand point however impractical of application.

This idea "Mint Smart Bar" would do everything. A little futuristic for the Mint Dev Team. However interesting!

LaunchBar is a smart and powerful, keyboard driven productivity utility that lets you access and control every aspect of your digital life. Whatever you want to get done on your Mac – with LaunchBar it’s only a few keystrokes away see: http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html

This is probably what your looking for.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”