New spin and fglrx

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

New spin and fglrx

Post by Roken »

OK, following my recent problems with not being able to update since any attempts to update break fglrx, and whilst I accept that this may be something peculiar to my system, I'm thinking of reinstalling using the latest spin of LMDE (gnome edition). I'll keep my /home partition so that I can maintain my current customisations, and just install the additional packages (and my own kernel) that I need again after reinstallation.

Since this is still likely to involve a fair chunk of work on my part, can anyone first confirm for me that propriety fglrx works with full H/W acceleration on the latest respin, fully updated, before I go ahead?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: New spin and fglrx

Post by tdockery97 »

I can only confirm that it does not work for me. But then it never has on LMDE. Fortunately the new Gallium open-source driver gives me the acceleration/effects that the proprietary driver would have.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

tdockery97 wrote:I can only confirm that it does not work for me. But then it never has on LMDE. Fortunately the new Gallium open-source driver gives me the acceleration/effects that the proprietary driver would have.
so it's not just me then? :evil:
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Whilst the Gallium driver provides for OpenGL, the speed is poor, and for some of the things I do I need full acceleration. Guess I'll just keep my system locked down for now, or maybe try a raw Debian install.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Well, I can confirm it does not work in LMDE Xfce. I had installed it yesterday and saw your post so I tried to install fglrx. I had the Galium Driver and now it shows "Unknown" And acceleration is still "None" Well, goodbye to LMDE and I'm going to stick with SalineOS which does support it and not only does it accelerate, it gives me 3D.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK, it's definitely an LMDE problem. I wiped my system and /home partitions (after backing up, of course), and installed a naked (as in - boots to a console) Debian OS. Afterwards, I installed xorg and gnome, followed by fglrx drivers from the repository, and everything is working just fine. The downside is that I've got to spend a lot of time building my system up to what I want again, but at least it works properly again. Everything is up to date from testing, although I have several updates available after adding the multimedia repos, which I won't install until I have a backup to fall back on. If anything breaks after that, it's a step closer to the problem.

ATI's own propriety drivers are still failing, but not such an issue with fglrx from the repo working.

On the negative side, whilst I will continue to help people, I'll become less and less able to offer Mint specific help (though I should be able to continue with more general help for LMDE).
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM

Return to “LMDE Archive”