Kernel Panic from Flash Videos

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vmint

Kernel Panic from Flash Videos

Post by vmint »

Hi,

I'm now using Mint 11, after having used various versions of Ubuntu. Regardless of my OS, playing Flash videos results in a kernel panic within a few minutes after starting playback. This happens for all flash player versions I have tried. I now use 10.1.102.64. I've already googled the problem quite a bit, but I fail to find an answer I can use.

Attached is a screenshot of the panic messages. Does anybody have any clue what's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad
proxima_centauri

Re: Kernel Panic from Flash Videos

Post by proxima_centauri »

Does it happen with different browsers as well?
vmint

Post by vmint »

Yes: Firefox (3.6, 4.0 and 6.02), Opera, Chrome, Chromium.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion ;

I see in the pic that you are using the 2.6.38.8 version of the linux kernel . . maybe see if a kernel upgrade will help ?

Update Manager -> Preferences -> Levels tab , check levels 4 and 5 'Visible' only. Close and reload the Update Manager , any linux kernels now in the list ? If so, you can now put a check to install the kernel upgrade.
anybody have any clue what's going on?
Kernel IRQ's and your VIA sound are duking it out for supremacy !
vmint

Post by vmint »

There's sadly no new kernel available in levels 1, 2 or 3. I'll wait a bit. One can work around the Flash problem by switching to HTML 5 on Youtube.

You're right about the crash coming from the VIA Sound. When the screen dump appears, I hear the last ~0.5 seconds of sound in the Flash video playing in an infinite loop.

Thanks!
Boblebad

Post by Boblebad »

Hi there

We are plenty of users who have problems with panic'ing kernel in Mint 11 katya, as you i thought that it was flashplayer related, but then i could crash it playing avi or any other video file with nothing else running, then i could do it by just downloading files through any browser using tethered iPhone, and last thing was just opening a pdf file ..

So it has nothing to do with a specific thing we do, it's kernel related - some talks about heat problems, and overuse of batterypower after the last kernel came out ..

I filed a bug report on it about a week ago, but no useful response yet ..
vmint

Post by vmint »

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, the kernel panics I experience happen only when I stream Flash videos in a browser. This has been the case for a few years, ever since I installed Ubuntu for the first time.
I am able to do any other operation (playing Flash videos directly from the hard drive, playing any sorts of audio/video files, downloading anything, etc.) without a similar kernel panic.
As richyrich suggested, this appears to be a problem between the Flash streaming, VIA sound and kernel IRQs. :(

All the best,
Vlad
nerdnic

Post by nerdnic »

I am having the exact same issue with Mint 13.

Was there ever a resolution found?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

nerdnic,
this topic is over one year old, irrelevant to the edition of mint you are using; don't bump topics with more than 6 months [according to the forum rules]

Return to “Hardware Support”