Firefox Ugly fonts

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bwat47

Firefox Ugly fonts

Post by bwat47 »

I've noticed the firefox package in LMDE doesn't seem to be compiled to use system cairo... This isn't a great choice. Font rendering looks extremely inconsistent compared to the rest of the system and generally pretty terrible. I had to switch to chrome just so I could stand browsing the internet.

I love LMDE, but this is just a suggestion to make user experience better :) Firefox should be using the same font rendering as the rest of the system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Firefox Ugly fonts

Post by DrHu »

Font choices and themes are very personal choices

Apart from the long list of complaints about defaults, which anyone can change, there is no reason to go beyond the vendor's application selections, in this case Firefox (mozilla) and the themes or fonts they want to use..
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

DrHu wrote:Font choices and themes are very personal choices

Apart from the long list of complaints about defaults, which anyone can change, there is no reason to go beyond the vendors's application selections, in this case Firefox (mozilla) and the themes or fonts they want to use..
I actually think its quite objective that its "proper" to have firefox use the same font rendering as the rest of the system. This is how it is in most distros.
kijin

Post by kijin »

DrHu wrote:Font choices and themes are very personal choices
bwat47 wrote:I actually think its quite objective that its "proper" to have firefox use the same font rendering as the rest of the system. This is how it is in most distros.
I agree with @bwat47. Firefox should follow the font rendering used by the rest of the system, because font choices and themes are very personal. When a user changes the way fonts are anti-aliased, for example, he/she expects all programs, including Firefox, to look just the way he/she likes.

I understand that we can't expect the time-strapped LMDE team to recompile everything like Ubuntu does. But Firefox is one of the most important programs, so I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a bit more attention.
sumski

Post by sumski »

kijin

Post by kijin »

sumski wrote:iceweasel uses system cairo
I know. But Firefox, not Iceweasel, is LMDE's default browser. The default browser needs more love.

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone tried grabbing the source code of the Main Edition's Firefox and compiling it on LMDE? Does it work?
sumski

Post by sumski »

ubuntu's firefox also doesn't use system cairo; at least post 3.x versions don't

Return to “LMDE Archive”