wired internet not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

wired internet not working

Post by telenux »

Hi,
I installed Linux Mint Debian 201109 w/ xfce and this just after a fresh install, my wired internet doesn't work.

I thought I'd inquire here before trying things. Maybe I should (have) post(ed?) to the Mint Debian (LMDE) section (too)?

Everything looks ok so far other than that issue.

Here's some info about my install and hardware in case it helps troubleshoot.

1) I had my wired ethernet cable plugged in during the entire install
2) I installed using a usb key - although, I have a defective usb port that only utilizes usb 1.1. but the install seemed to succeed.
3) I usually use wireless and wireless does work - I tested this out booting my usb stick with the live iso - then I decided to install to the HDD

I'm pretty sure my wired internet connection works. I will test with XP (it works for sure whenever I boot X) but I haven't booted that OS up in a while.

I may get to the bottom of this soon (one never knows) but maybe this problem is easy to solve but I'm missing something.

I appreciate all suggestions and advice.

My laptop is a Thinkpad T41 w/ Radeon 9000 and Intel 2200bg wireless (wifi) card. This is really my secondary computer but I'm contemplating upgrading my desktop so I haven't installed on that yet.

I have three operating systems installed on a Samsung 160GB HDD - Windows XP, Debian Sqeeze and now Mint 11 Debian xfce.

Thank you in advance for any help or attempts to help. :)

This OS ver. looks good to me so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: wired internet not working

Post by xenopeek »

Please open a terminal and share the output of the following command here:

Code: Select all

inxi -c 0 -N -S
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Ok.

$ inxi -c 0 -N -S
System:    Host thinkpad.org Kernel 2.6.39-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Network:   Card-1 Intel 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) driver e1000
           Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection drive
I'm using the xfce DE in Mint Debian so I was thinking I'll be wanting to edit some configuration settings in 'Devices - Network Tools' (maybe)?
kiriakos

Post by kiriakos »

I have the same problem :shock:

System:    Host kiriakos Kernel 2.6.39-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver b43-pci-bridge
           Card-2 Intel 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection driver e1000e
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Update: my wifi suddenly stopped working. I received the 'bubble' 'wireless not connected' or something like that.

Even when I tried to re-connect, it wouldn't.

I looked at all the threads in this section and there seems to be a lot of wired/wireless issues going on.

I wonder if there's some sort of bug or bug(S) (plural) to do with wifi and wired/ethernet in the new Mint.

After I couldn't connect to my wifi, I re-booted the machine and instead booted up my pure Debian (xfce) partition. The wifi connected automatically with no issue.

Return to “Networking”