Replace Grub by Burg?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
gorfou

Replace Grub by Burg?

Post by gorfou »

Hi!

I'm not really knowledgeable about bootloaders, but i think having a nicer default bootloader might be an asset. It might even be minty ;)

Why don't we use Burg instead of grub?

Cheers,

bernard

ps: http://code.google.com/p/burg/
And this thread spoke about it : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 42&start=0
burg screenshots : http://code.google.com/p/burg/wiki/Screenshots
GhoS

Re: Replace Grub by Burg?

Post by GhoS »

Despite the fact that using Linux we do not see a bootloader often, I agree that it would be an easy way for Mint to differentiate itself by including Burg. I have been tempted to try it, but just concerned because it doesn't seem that user friendly to install. It also didn't appear to update when you updated mint, however I have not investigated it further.

Of course it hasn't been a big focus for Ubuntu, the bootloader screen, and hasn't seemed to hurt it, although that is one reason why Mint uses a simlar bootloader, less work.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I use Burg all the time. It is normally the first thing I install to a new OS if I am in a dual or multi-boot situation. Installing it is easier than many people think. Use this site and you will be up and running in 10 minutes.

http://code.google.com/p/burg/wiki/InstallUbuntu

Select the install method that is right for your system. Use the equivalent Ubuntu release to the Mint release you are using.

Burg has other advantages besides the improved look of the boot menu. When Burg is on screen, press "f" on your keyboard and activate the fold function. All entries (recovery, memtest, old kernels) other than the main entry for each OS will be hidden. This is a real help if you are booting 4 or 5 OS.
kvv

Post by kvv »

I never knew something like this existed! Is there a reason why this isn't implemented by Ubuntu and Fedora already?
Aging Technogeek

It is not something that everyone would need or use. Unless you are dual booting, you do not see a grub menu unless you look for it and even for many who dual boot, the extra layer of code (Grub is not removed, just reskinned) would be a minor annoyance.

I guess the dev team has decided, for now, to leave things as they are. After all, Mint cannot be all things to all people, there is only so much room on a disk.

Burg is easy to install if you want it, so where's the hardship?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Aging Technogeek wrote:It is not something that everyone would need or use. Unless you are dual booting, you do not see a grub menu unless you look for it and even for many who dual boot, the extra layer of code (Grub is not removed, just reskinned) would be a minor annoyance.

I guess the dev team has decided, for now, to leave things as they are. After all, Mint cannot be all things to all people, there is only so much room on a disk.

Burg is easy to install if you want it, so where's the hardship?

I want an Easy Button, for everything. :lol:
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

I think the real pressing question here we'd all like to know. Is how did ATG teach that dog to type and surf the net ? :D Smart lil booger, it even found it's way to bone.com ... yikes.
Aging Technogeek

Richwest,

I think you will find that, although sdb is the drive holding your default OS, grub was installed to the Windows mbr on sda. This is where Burg must go if it is to work.

lmintnewb,

That shows you how easy it is to learn Linux. I tried to teach that pup Windows 7 for 6 months with no success. He picked up Linux Mint on his own.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

LMAO ... nice. :D

Cute lil feller though, sheesh he looks like he knows more about gnu/nix than I do. Good teacher makes all the diff. ;)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”