Wireless Not Enabled

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mattia

Re: Wireless Not Enabled

Post by Mattia »

Hi!
I've got a problem with my wireless connection, the driver seems to be right-installed and connected, but when I try to surf the web, it just doesn't work.. I've also installed Wicd Network manager but it always give me some error, like "wrong password" (but I've tried to write it many times so I'm sure that it isn't the real problem) or "problem to find the IP".
I've used ubuntu for few months and I've installed Linux Mint 11 LXDE 32-bit two weeks ago on my netbook Acer Aspire One, so I'm not very expert as you can see..
If this can help, I wrote on the terminal "Lspci" and it gave me back "01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)" and I've also tried "jockey-text" but it doesn't work
"Additional Drivers
Searching for available drivers..." and then nothing.. I don't know what to do!!
Thanks to everyone!
Mattia
jefrino

Post by jefrino »

Chili555, So that you know just how useful your advice is, I have an Acer laptop (loaded with 64-bit Katya) with the same Broadcom BCM4311 wireless adapter which exhibited the same problems as the user immediately above (i.e. jogamedu).

I followed your instructions (getting almost exactly the same responses and error messages as above) which, of course, ultimately resulted in a functioning wireless network. Thank you for coming up with an elegant solution to this otherwise daunting problem!
chili555
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chili555 »

Mattia wrote:Hi!
I've got a problem with my wireless connection, the driver seems to be right-installed and connected, but when I try to surf the web, it just doesn't work.. I've also installed Wicd Network manager but it always give me some error, like "wrong password" (but I've tried to write it many times so I'm sure that it isn't the real problem) or "problem to find the IP".
I've used ubuntu for few months and I've installed Linux Mint 11 LXDE 32-bit two weeks ago on my netbook Acer Aspire One, so I'm not very expert as you can see..
If this can help, I wrote on the terminal "Lspci" and it gave me back "01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)" and I've also tried "jockey-text" but it doesn't work
"Additional Drivers
Searching for available drivers..." and then nothing.. I don't know what to do!!
Thanks to everyone!
Mattia
Please let us see:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep b43
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
Thanks.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The 'STA' driver doesn't work correctly for this card in Mint 11. You'll need to uninstall it and use the B43 driver instead.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Amith Kumar U R

Post by Amith Kumar U R »

hi, first of all am a newbie. Even am also facing some problem with my wifi. I don't know why it is not connecting.I have tried to connect wifi using wicd network manager but wifi is not conecting. :(

I tried this

modprobe wl
FATAL: Module wl not found.
how to fix this? :(
chili555
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chili555 »

Amith Kumar U R wrote:hi, first of all am a newbie. Even am also facing some problem with my wifi. I don't know why it is not connecting.I have tried to connect wifi using wicd network manager but wifi is not conecting. :(

I tried this

modprobe wl
FATAL: Module wl not found.
how to fix this? :(
If you have the same card as the original poster, you should not find the module wl. If you do not have the same card, please start a new thread. Which is it?

lspci -nn | grep 0280
Amith Kumar U R

By chili555 : If you have the same card as the original poster, you should not find the module wl. If you do not have the same card, please start a new thread. Which is it?
well, i got this

lspci -nn | grep 0280
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [8086:0083]
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

To everyone with a 4311 card.

Please connect to wired internet and install b43-fwcutter from Package Manager.
chili555
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chili555 »

Amith Kumar U R wrote:
By chili555 : If you have the same card as the original poster, you should not find the module wl. If you do not have the same card, please start a new thread. Which is it?
well, i got this

lspci -nn | grep 0280
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [8086:0083]
The posts in this thread deal with the Broadcom 4312 and 4311 cards. I suggest you start your own new thread and refer to Intel 1000 in the title. Post

rfkill list all
dmesg | grep iwl
Thanks.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Amith Kumar U R:

Please make sure linux-firmware-nonfree is installed in Software Manager. You can, if needed, use a wired internet connection to install it. If it still does not work, please open a new topic.
Amith Kumar U R

okay.. thanks chili .. thanks Albert... :)
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

chili555 wrote:Is there any chance you'd like to make it permanent?? It looks to me like all it took was:

sudo rfkill unblock all
Would you please reboot and issue that single command? If that's it, we'll tweak one file to make it persistent. If not, we'll dig deeper.
I have the same problem on my Lenovo x121e. After booting the wifi doesn't work.
When I run this code in terminal it works until it sleeps or is turned off, next wake-up or start, no wifi again:

su
rfkill unblock all
This only works when logged in as su. It does not work with sudo.
I would really like to make this persistent. How can I do this?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

We'll need to know what's causing your wireless to turn off every boot.

Please run this command, before running rfkill unblock all, and post the output:

rfkill list
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

AlbertP wrote:We'll need to know what's causing your wireless to turn off every boot.

Please run this command, before running rfkill unblock all, and post the output:

rfkill list
OK, here it is

ThinkPad-X121e ~/Desktop $ rfkill list
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
2: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
	Hard blocked: yes
3: tpacpi_wwan_sw: Wireless WAN
	Hard blocked: yes
4: hci0: Bluetooth
	Hard blocked: no
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can't you turn on your wireless with the on/off switch on the laptop?
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

AlbertP wrote:Can't you turn on your wireless with the on/off switch on the laptop?
It's already turned on. I know this because Bluetooth is available as soon as the system starts. The same switch turns on Wifi and Bluetooth.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can you turn the switch off, and on again, to get wireless working?
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

AlbertP wrote:Can you turn the switch off, and on again, to get wireless working?
Just tried that. Makes no difference. :(
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps you can edit the file /etc/rc.local and add: rfkill unblock all (before the line that reads exit 0).

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

AlbertP wrote:Perhaps you can edit the file /etc/rc.local and add: rfkill unblock all (before the line that reads exit 0).

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
Hmm... It worked.
So easy.
Thanks a lot.

Return to “Networking”