Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201109 with updated ISOs for Gnome and Xfce. Highlights LMDE in brief Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing. It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with Gnome or Xfce. [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818
ferri

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by ferri »

I'm looking forward to try it.
I'm former Mandriva user. I've decided to move to higher level.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Thank you Clem - you've just stolen my weekend away :mrgreen:
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Excellent news! Just got to wait for UP3 to hit the latest repo now :D
setepos

Post by setepos »

Various upgrade methods are discussed in here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Now, I have been using Xfce 201108RC, in this particular context, what is my upgrade path to Xfce 201109 edition? Will package install method get me there or not?

thanks
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I'll put the XFCE in.......errrr on :? my girlfriends box and see how it competes with SalineOS.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Hi Murdock,

Post your comparison ASAP - I use Saline (which is excellent) and would be very interested to hear your opinion of Mint Debian Xfce.

Regards,

Dyfi.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Dyfi wrote:Hi Murdock,

Post your comparison ASAP - I use Saline (which is excellent) and would be very interested to hear your opinion of Mint Debian Xfce.
Me, too. I have Saline installed here, and a good friend of mine uses Debian Stable with Xfce. I figure LMDE with Xfce should be about as nice as either of those two.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Good work and great news. Unfortunately, the LiveDVD doesn't work for my monitor.

DVD boots fine and when X session starts, my monitor is 'out of range', so my screen just goes blank. If I had a conventional installer, like 'plain' GNU/ Debian, I'd be able to do the install and then run 'Xorg -configure', before I start an X session. I'm able to get a virtual TTY. This is preventing me from trying or installing the new release :-( .

Thanks for creating the new release.

Chris.
boopa3

Post by boopa3 »

I am a longtime sufferer of 'distromania' and have learned to expect the unexpected from new distros. I'm constantly throwing 'em on and throwing 'em out and usually have between 7 - 15 to play with and observe changes and differing approaches. I grabbed the 64 bit XFCE after reading the release on Distrowatch and experienced the smoothest installation ever. Not a single 'burp' throughout the process. Just the right assortment of programs along with crisp response to the keyboard and mouse.

Congratulations to the crew for producing a first class, all encompassing user friendly 'rolling release' OS that meets all expectations. It is my new BFF.

Regards,

-Jack

Samsung laptop: i3,4g,Intel graphics and sound.
abbott

Post by abbott »

I downloaded the Linux Mint Debian 201109 Gnome.

My laptop is Dell D630 with T7100 dual CPU.

I booted the laptop with USB drive,
I only found one CPU core (by checking this file /proc/cpuinfo).

After I installed the whole OS to my HDD,
there was only one CPU core (by checking this file /proc/cpuinfo).

What's wrong?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

abbott wrote:I downloaded the Linux Mint Debian 201109 Gnome.

My laptop is Dell D630 with T7100 dual CPU.

I booted the laptop with USB drive,
I only found one CPU core (by checking this file /proc/cpuinfo).

After I installed the whole OS to my HDD,
there was only one CPU core (by checking this file /proc/cpuinfo).

What's wrong?

This issue was covered in the release announcement..nothing is wrong, just use 64 bit or 686-pae kernel

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818

Important info
Multi-core and multi-CPU support in 32-bit kernel:

To guarantee compatibility with non-PAE processors, the 32-bit versions of Linux Mint Debian come with a 486 kernel by default. This kernel does not support SMP, and as a consequence is only able to detect one core and one CPU. If your CPU has multiple cores, or if you have more than one CPU, simply install the 686-PAE kernel and reboot your computer.
mirecek1965

Post by mirecek1965 »

Sorry for bothering anyone but i download linuxmint-201109-gnome-dvd-32bit.iso and use LILI usb creator to make live/install image on USB key. When i try booting this, no matter live or install mode, i always getting this message: Mount root filesystem /init:.: line 215: cant open /scripts/casper, and there it hangs. What i do wrong? Thanks for any answer.
My specs:
Core i5 650
8 GiB RAM
GeForce 560 Ti
1 TiB + 500 MiB HDD
X-fi gamer
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Another fine release.
Many thanks, Clem and team.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
DeepDayze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DeepDayze »

Downloaded the ISO already and wrote it to my USB stick with Unetbootin. So much better than the older version without some of the annoying bugs.

This may be a great change from Aptosid but I'm game enough to try upgrading an LMDE install to Debian sid :)
nbliang

Post by nbliang »

mirecek1965 wrote:Sorry for bothering anyone but i download linuxmint-201109-gnome-dvd-32bit.iso and use LILI usb creator to make live/install image on USB key. When i try booting this, no matter live or install mode, i always getting this message: Mount root filesystem /init:.: line 215: cant open /scripts/casper, and there it hangs. What i do wrong? Thanks for any answer.
My specs:
Core i5 650
8 GiB RAM
GeForce 560 Ti
1 TiB + 500 MiB HDD
X-fi gamer
"LMDE is made compatible with unetbootin..." as stated in the Additional Notes section in the Release Announcement, so you might want to try using unetbootin.
mirecek1965

Post by mirecek1965 »

Thanks for answer, i use Unetbootin and now it worked fine.
mirecek1965

Post by mirecek1965 »

Now i have another problem. Yesterday all OK, today i get strange main menu:

How i correct this please?
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

Do I still need to use the command "apt-get dist-upgrade" or the new Update Manager will take care of that?
Terrel Shumway

Post by Terrel Shumway »

chris_debian wrote:Good work and great news. Unfortunately, the LiveDVD doesn't work for my monitor.

DVD boots fine and when X session starts, my monitor is 'out of range', so my screen just goes blank.
I have a similar problem (with ALL recent distros that I have tried). Try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel command line.
(even the "forcevesa" of the "compatible" menu option doesn't work -- it has to be "nomodeset")

nvidia !@##%!@#

Return to “Releases & Announcements”