Wrong mixer opens for sound preferences.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cdysthe

Wrong mixer opens for sound preferences.

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

Today when I right click on the volume control icon in the notification area (where network, volume, battery etc. is controlled) and select "Sound Preferences" I get "gnome-volume-control.gstreamer" opened instead of "gnome-volume-control.pulse" as it used to be. Also, when I click on "Sound" in the Control Center I get the gstreamer mixer, not the pulse one like I used to.i Pulse audio runs fine and I can open "gnome-volume-control.pulse" from a terminal without problems. I have no idea how this got changed and how to change it back. Anyone know how to set back to the way it was?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Wrong mixer opens for sound preferences.

Post by viking777 »

Could you have accidentally switched to alsa from pulseaudio? About the easiest way to find out that I know of is to type the command

Code: Select all

alsamixer

into a terminal. If it says your card and chip are 'pulseaudio' then that is what you are using, if it says something else then that is why the wrong sound controller is opening.
gregorovius

Re: Wrong mixer opens for sound preferences.

Post by gregorovius »

Hi. I was using Ubuntu until recently and this worked OK. I also have a wireless USB headset with volume control and it functioned correctly. I installed LMDE in a laptop and I experience this same problem, as well as the volume control always affecting the first device and not the active one. Anyway, I deleted gnome-volume-control-applet, gnome-volume-control.pulse/gstreamer in /usr/bin and replaced it with Ubuntu's versions (it has the same version number) and it fixed the issue you're experiencing. I also replaced libmedia-keys.so in /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-2.0/ to fix the volume issue. I uploaded these files here, hope they are of use. If you wanna be paranoid you can also get them from an Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/372214/gnome-audio.tar.gz

Cheers.

Return to “LMDE Archive”