Cannot find the "xorg.conf" file after installation ...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rollingLover

Cannot find the "xorg.conf" file after installation ...

Post by rollingLover »

Hi All,

I've been using Ubuntu for more than 3 years now and wanted to try out a rolling distribution as such. Came across LMDE and wanted to give it a try.

I installed LMDE (XFce version RC (201108)) and nearly everything seems to be working out of the box. One thing that I was not able to understand was that the system does not seem to have a xorg.conf file anywhere including under /etc/X11!

Now, I am fine using the open source drivers for my ATI card (5850) since it does not have the tearing issue like the proprietary ones from AMD. But still I am unable to understand where this file is that was a centerplace to configure Xwindows. I see that some ATI driver is loaded upon boot and that my xserver is running, but I am not able to understand where it gets the configuration from. Moreover, when I click on the "Monitors" application under "Preferences" it does nothing. I suspect that its unable to locate the conf file which has monitor related info.

I've checked various posts here and elsewhere but most of them refer to nich configurations for intel or nvidia graphic cards. Could someone direct me to the right post or help me out here? Should I be generating the file myself? If so, how will I get my Xserver to use the config file I created?

Thank you ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Cannot find the "xorg.conf" file after installation ...

Post by proxima_centauri »

There hasn't been a default /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in quite a few releases. You only need to create one should you absolutely need one.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Radeo ... _for_X.org

EDIT: Sorry, I see you are running the Debian version - I'm going to assume the reasoning above is the same.
rollingLover

Re: Cannot find the "xorg.conf" file after installation ...

Post by rollingLover »

Thank you for the link. It show that a conf file is not required as in the past. But why could it be that the "Monitors" application used for customising resolution amongst other things not functioning?

If, lets say, I were to move to the proprietary ATI driver, would I need to create a conf file manually, or would it be created automatically by the package? Is there a guide anywhere that shows how to enable compiz on xfce in debian or LMDE?

Thank you again

Return to “LMDE Archive”