ATI Radeon x1650 Graphics Card [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

ATI Radeon x1650 Graphics Card [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi.

I have the above graphichs card and am not at all sure that it is working. I have no idea how I chan check whether or not it is. I have tried compiz-check and it says it can't find the command. I have downloaded the latest ati installer ( ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run ) and all I get from trying to run it is :-

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:3.0.0-1-686-pae; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.JiXkOz[/color]

Any ideas as to what I do next or where to go ? :D

Just noticed. I have probably posted in the wrong place. SORRY perhaps someone could move it to the correct place for me :D :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: ATI Radeon x1650 Graphics Card

Post by AlbertP »

The ATI driver 9.3 works only on very old Mint versions, up to Mint 5 or 6. With the current 9, 10 and 11 versions of Mint you have to use the open-source driver.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

Thanks for that but where do I find it ? :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just don't install any driver. You are already using the open-source Radeon driver. If you're still having graphics trouble, please post the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
sumski

Post by sumski »

radeon x1650 works very good with open drivers. You can use

man radeon
to tweak it a little bit more
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

As requested he are the results :-

a7n8x gordon # inxi Gx
CPU[-Single core AMD Athlon XP 1500+ (-UP-) clocked at 1303.031 Mhz-] Kernel[-3.0.0-1-686-pae i686-] Up[-6:42-] Mem[-301.0/1009.9MB-] HDD[-82.2GB(14.0% used)-] Procs[-129-] Client[-Shell-] inxi[-1.4.23-]
a7n8x gordon #

Have been doing a lot of reading and think that my graphics card has not been configured. Have been looking for xorg.conf but have not found it yet. Read the man pages and like reading double dutch to me. :)

OOP'S sorry missed out the hyphen sign before the Gx, got it right this time :oops:

a7n8x gordon # inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card ATI Radeon X1650 Pro X.org 1.10.4 Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root
a7n8x gordon #

Hi sumski

Ran that command but have no idea what to do with it :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can you post the exact output of inxi -Gx? You can copy it from terminal with Ctrl-Shift-C (instead of Ctrl-C) and then paste it here.

I think you have messed up the 3D driver by trying to install Catalyst 9.3.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

Here is your request

gordon@a7n8x ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card ATI Radeon X1650 Pro X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1440x900@75.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
gordon@a7n8x ~ $

Hope I got it right this time :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

As I already thought, Catalyst 9.3 has removed the 3D drivers that came with Mint.

You can reinstall libdrm-radeon1, libgl-mesa-glx and libgl-mesa-dri using Synaptic Package Manager. This will hopefully let the 'N/A' texts disappear from the output of inxi -Gx.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

I tried to find the three files you said but they dont seem to be there so I tried aptitude but it asked for dependencies and I haven't a clue.

synaptic sugested these , libdrm-radeon1 as is, libgl-mesa-glx glx diversion and libgl-mesa-dri fglrx-driver, which were already installed so I reinstall them and this is the result :-

/usr/share/themes/Felicia/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:79: Murrine configuration option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored.

/usr/share/themes/Felicia/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:79: Murrine configuration option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored.

(Reading database ... 216587 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace glx-diversions 0.1.91 (using .../glx-diversions_0.1.91_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement glx-diversions ...

Preparing to replace libdrm-radeon1 2.4.26-1 (using .../libdrm-radeon1_2.4.26-1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement libdrm-radeon1 ...

Preparing to replace fglrx-driver 1:11-8-1 (using .../fglrx-driver_1%3a11-8-1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement fglrx-driver ...

Processing triggers for glx-alternative-fglrx ...

Processing triggers for man-db ...

Setting up glx-diversions (0.1.91) ...

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libglx.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libglx.so.dbg by glx-diversions'

Setting up libdrm-radeon1 (2.4.26-1) ...

Setting up fglrx-driver (1:11-8-1) ...

NOTE: the fglrx driver is not yet configued.

Please consider /usr/bin/aticonfig to create a

working xorg.conf configuration.

For example, 'sudo aticonfig --initial' should

be sufficient for most use cases.

Processing triggers for glx-alternative-mesa ...

I tried the sugested example and it said " aticonfig: No supported adapters detected "

I have run inxi -Gx again with the following results :-

a7n8x gordon # inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card ATI Radeon X1650 Pro X.org 1.10.4 Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root
a7n8x gordon #

hope these answers help :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

aticonfig is part of the Catalyst driver.

It seems you re still having some traces of Catalyst on your system. Please uninstall fglrx, fglrx-driver, fglrx-amdcccle or something like that from Synaptic.

By the way, which Mint version do you use?

And please don't run inxi -Gx as root. As you see, the second line of the output is missing when running it with a #.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

Right. I have removed the following using package manager :-

flgrx-modules-dkms
flgrx-driver
flgrx-glx
flgrx-atieventsd

the only thing left installed now is glx-alternative-fglrx

uninstall produced the following

(Reading database ... 216587 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace glx-diversions 0.1.91 (using .../glx-diversions_0.1.91_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement glx-diversions ...

Preparing to replace libdrm-radeon1 2.4.26-1 (using .../libdrm-radeon1_2.4.26-1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement libdrm-radeon1 ...

Preparing to replace fglrx-driver 1:11-8-1 (using .../fglrx-driver_1%3a11-8-1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement fglrx-driver ...

Setting up glx-diversions (0.1.91) ...

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2 by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libglx.so by glx-diversions'

Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/libglx.so.dbg by glx-diversions'

Setting up libdrm-radeon1 (2.4.26-1) ...

Setting up fglrx-driver (1:11-8-1) ...

NOTE: the fglrx driver is not yet configued.

Please consider /usr/bin/aticonfig to create a

working xorg.conf configuration.

For example, 'sudo aticonfig --initial' should

be sufficient for most use cases.

Processing triggers for glx-alternative-mesa ...

also I have rerun inxi -Gx in terminal not as root results

GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
gordon@a7n8x ~ $
I am using LMDE incomming at the moment have also used testing and unstable :D :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You posted the same terminal output twice, I think this is a mistake? It seems like there's still fglrx things installed.

Also make sure that there's no package with catalyst or amdcccle in the name installed.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

I don't know about the same thing twice, I did it once as root and once just in terminal, anyway I have just done a reboot and just run inxi -Gx again so here it is

GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV530 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
gordon@a7n8x ~ $

I have also removed, using package manager,

xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-all

the second one marked by package manager with the output :-

(Reading database ... 216432 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing xserver-xorg-video-all ...

(Reading database ... 216429 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing xserver-xorg-video-ati ...

since I removed all the fglrx stuff my printer has stopped working, anything to do with what i have been doing ?

there is nothing with catalyst in it installed and I couldn't find anything with amdcccle in it at all in package manager.

quick edit.

something has changed my screen resolution from 1440 * 900 to 1440 * 1050 and I can't change it back
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Radeon driver is now working right according to the inxi -Gx output.

About the printer, can you open Printing, then remove the printer, and add it again?

Please post the output of xrandr, it'll list the screen settings, resolution @ refresh rate.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

Thanks for that, I do think that the driver is now working but unfortunatly it hasn't done what I had hoped. I play a game online called skyrama, airport landind game, and I need to be able to move fast and click the mouse but unfortunatly I can't do that as it causes the screen to jump all over the place even with the new setup. As regards to the screen size I could live with that but it would be good to be able to set it. One othet thing that hasd happened is that it has jumped from gdm3 to kdm manager how do I return it to gdm3 ?.
Here is the output from xrandr :-

gordon@a7n8x ~ $ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1400 x 1050, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1400x1050 0.0*
gordon@a7n8x ~ $
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Uninstall kdm and it's back to gdm3.

We've reinstalled the 3D components to get rid of the Catalyst driver there, but perhaps some of the 2D stuff still remains.

apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Does this command fix the resolution?
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

No change to resolution and still can't change it. In control panel seting I unticked the kdm manager and left gdm3 ticked, will that do or do I have to uninstall ?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think your xorg.conf still contains traces of Catalyst.
Radeon doesn't need xorg.conf so let's delete it:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi AlbertP,

ran that command

gordon@a7n8x ~ $ sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
[sudo] password for gordon:
rm: cannot remove `/etc/X11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory

Return to “LMDE Archive”