Server edition?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wered

Server edition?

Post by wered »

i have not seen any server versions of linux mint, has there ever been any talk about creating a server version? i know that mint is ubuntu based and that there is a ubuntu server, i just personally like mint better and was hoping that eventually there would be a server version of mint, plus there is no gui by default on the ubuntu server and you have to install it, i know alot of people prefer not to have a gui on servers but i think i can get things done alot faster on it with a gui, it just makes it simpler and more user friendly, that being said, is there is a current version of mint server thats not on the download page? if not has anyone ever tried to make one? i dont know the first thing about scripting, only thing i can do is make a script that asks you three questions and repeats the answers in a sentence but i would be happy to help if anyone tried to make one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Server edition?

Post by Elisa »

Hello,

I do suppose you are a newbie, aren't you ? ;)
If so, IMHO, it's useless to speak about now about any server edition, dude.

It's a good progress for you to learn up as much as you can what is Linux (MINT) and how it all works and why it works just that way...
Then you'll get it - what is server, its purpose and what you could expect from server (and why a reliable and hardworking server is really working just without any gui ;))
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Read the second comment (from Justin) here: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/537
wered

Post by wered »

ok thanks that makes more since, iv been using linux mint since helena and i love the system, just never messed around with linux much as my webserver/minecraftserver/fileserver was running osx snow leopard, but its 1.6ghz dual core and 1 gig of ram was no longer cutting it, especialy when i put that system on it. was just wondering if anyone had givin it any thought for a server mint, but i guess theres other distributions for that. thanks again
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

wered wrote: plus there is no gui by default on the ubuntu server and you have to install it, i know alot of people prefer not to have a gui on servers but i think i can get things done alot faster on it with a gui, it just makes it simpler and more user friendly, that being said, is there is a current version of mint server thats not on the download page? if not has anyone ever tried to make one? i dont know the first thing about scripting, only thing i can do is make a script that asks you three questions and repeats the answers in a sentence but i would be happy to help if anyone tried to make one.

want to look for Debian based distro's server with GUI?

check out Saline OS, personal server edition

http://www.salineos.com/UserManual/Serv ... Manual.pdf

http://www.salineos.com/
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Hello Wayne128,

thanks for that pdf link. There is no info at distrowatch that salineos would be also "server" os /although it looks like more home server than real server, but it looks ok/.
I'll give it a try just curious 'cos for server issues I prefer Debian Squeeze ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”