Mint Debian Stable?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
holadebeto

Mint Debian Stable?

Post by holadebeto »

Somewhere I think I heard that there is a Mintified Debian Stable ( or a Debified Mint :))in the future? It would be updated as a function of stability, not the rolling shakiness of LMDE. Is this just a rumor or is it a real possibility? I'm not savy on a lot of this stuff, but the idea of Debian stability with the mint style and quality would be a real nice combination. I've searched Google a bunch, but it gets filtered by LMDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Mint Debian Stable?

Post by wayne128 »

holadebeto wrote:Somewhere I think I heard that there is a Mintified Debian Stable ( or a Debified Mint :))in the future? It would be updated as a function of stability, not the rolling shakiness of LMDE. Is this just a rumor or is it a real possibility? I'm not savy on a lot of this stuff, but the idea of Debian stability with the mint style and quality would be a real nice combination. I've searched Google a bunch, but it gets filtered by LMDE.

LMDE tracks Testing repos.

But then if you want to have LMDE tracking Debian Stable, you should use the earlier iso ( year 2010) and immediately after installation, change the sources.list to Debian stable, do an update and you should have a nice working LMDE-tracking Stable (Squeeze)
Last edited by wayne128 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holadebeto

Post by holadebeto »

So then, Wayne, all the updates will be stable then? Will I be able to have support for that for say two or three years or so before I upgrade? If that's the way it works, then that's really good. I'm a bit intimidated by the rolling release - I'm looking for the most stable distribution I can find, especially with Mint. Actually I'm happy with Mint 9, but a Debian based system would be more responsive (quicker) according to folks - that sounds great.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

holadebeto wrote:So then, Wayne, all the updates will be stable then? Will I be able to have support for that for say two or three years or so before I upgrade? If that's the way it works, then that's really good. I'm a bit intimidated by the rolling release - I'm looking for the most stable distribution I can find, especially with Mint. Actually I'm happy with Mint 9, but a Debian based system would be more responsive (quicker) according to folks - that sounds great.
When you set repos to Debian Stable, your updates will be Debian Stable

How long is the support?
Well when you track Debian Stable, its support will be there for as long as Debian Stable lasts.

Not everyone like rolling release.
Main issue is the possibility of breaking due to some updates, some users do not even need those updates.

If you are happy with Mint9, just stay with Mint 9.

But if you are in more experimental mood, and you want to explore options, then consider Dual Booting Mint9 with LMDE(old iso 2010 version)-tracking Stable, or Debian-Stable. So that you can compare them side by side.
holadebeto

Re: Mint Debian Stable? (Solved)

Post by holadebeto »

Thanks, Wayne, I'll some more reading first. If it would be better than Mint 9, then that would be clearly the way to go, I think.
maruel

Post by maruel »

Take into account that you'll be switching from mint's repos to squeeze's one, some stuff (e.g. firefox) won't ever get updated because it's not in squeeze's repositories, and you may even get some packages conflicts (because of different versions in each repo). That would make your system not as stable as pure Debian.

Why don't you just use Debian Stable? Why mint? I mean, you'll need to work a bit anyways, so I believe it would be easier and simpler to just install plain Debian (it's easy)

Hope it helps :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”