UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
aljoriz

Re: UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by aljoriz »

tried to watch some anime in .mkv format but it closes immediately however when played in mplayer it works just fine but I do miss the ability to maximize the sound output.
rufong

Post by rufong »

my snag i mentioned before with pkg error while unpacking libqt7-core was from the debian skype repo.
today i just searched

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy skype
Candidate: 2.2.0.35-1
Version table:
2.2.0.35-1 0
700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
i went ahead, and the necessary packages installed fine. my thanks to you and your team clem!

debian-mintUpdate crashed on me, so i went to the command line
doing; su, password..

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
The following NEW packages will be installed:
mint-flashplugin-11
The following packages have been kept back:
foomatic-db-engine mint-flashplugin
The following packages will be upgraded:
apturl apturl-common live-installer-slideshow mint-flashplugin-10.3
4 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 17.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/main apturl all 0.4.1ubuntu4.1mint1 [13.0 kB]
Get:2 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/main apturl-common all 0.4.1ubuntu4.1mint1 [14.5 kB]
Get:3 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/main live-installer-slideshow all 2011.09.07 [294 kB]
Get:4 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import mint-flashplugin-10.3 i386 10.3.183.7 [5,134 kB]
Get:5 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import mint-flashplugin-11 i386 11.0.d1.98 [6,430 kB]
Fetched 11.9 MB in 9s (1,215 kB/s)
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
dpkg: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2173 package 'mint-info-debian':
missing description
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2204:
missing package name
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
happily a guinea-pig for LMDE,
lee
viking777

Post by viking777 »

First of all I would try running:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
If that doesn't work, the dpkg status file is backed up regularly at /var/backups. Just rename your existing file and substitute one of the backups (with an older date) instead then rerun the upgrade. If the backup you choose ends with .gz you will have to unpack it with archive manager first.
rufong

Post by rufong »

viking777 wrote:First of all I would try running:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
resolved it for me. apologies for not having a better understanding
of which issues to post, and which to work out meself..
viking777

Post by viking777 »

apologies for not having a better understanding
of which issues to post, and which to work out meself..
Hey, no worries. If I don't find some easy questions on this forum I never get to give any correct answers :lol:
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

Perhaps I am not seeing the big picture, but it seems to me that in order to implement a decent rolling release, simply mirroring snapshots of the Debian repositories is not quite enough. What happens when packages disappear from testing?

For example, as an experiment, I have been building (and wiping and rebuilding) straight Debian VM’s with minimal packages, dist-upgrading to either latest or incoming and installing the rest of the system from there. The dist-upgrades go fine, but I discovered that icedtea-plugin was no longer available in the current incoming (update pack 3). Had I a real need for this machine I would have been forced to get the .deb from somewhere else or to go with sun’s plugin.

Granted, the typical LMDE user would not have to deal with this out of the box, but there must be some typical LMDE users who prefer open java over sun’s implementation? What of those people? What about other packages?

Packages are typically removed from testing because they create a less than ideal situation for the next version of stable Debian, no? In the case of icedtea-plugin it had something to do with the package incorrectly depending on xulrunner 1.9 when it didn’t need to (I may be misinformed here). However, if I were to install the icedtea-plugin (along with missing dependencies) from a deb file, the package manager would happily install it, and update it some time in the future once the non-offending version trickled down to the repo the machine was pointed at. Apt-get would even notify me that xulrunner 1.9 was a no longer needed dependency. Basically, LMDE doesn’t need to worry about being a stable candidate for Debian stable.

To better implement the rolling release model, I suggest having some way of retaining packages that have disappeared from testing. I would think this is something that could be pretty easily done programmatically. Perhaps a /latest/packages_that_have_disappeared repository subfolder could be implemented? This way, when the non-offending version trickles back into testing the script (or whatever) would see this and remove the package from the new repository, perhaps even after a certain amount of time.

All this being said, I am eagerly waiting for the new incoming repos to turn into latest … once it happens, I am gonna build my personal laptop with this vanilla-debian-pointed-at-LMDE-repos thing. I am a long-time archlinux user who has really come to enjoy the automation that Debian provides. Once the rolling-release bugs have been ironed out, it will be truly awesome.

Also, perhaps each new version of incoming should start out with the latest release of Debian CUT? These are supposed to be less stormy snapshots of testing. This might make for less work for the LMDE team.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Would anyone mind trying something for me involving Firefox and Flash video? I'm running a fully updated LMDE RC (64 bit) on the "incoming" repos, by the way.

It's rather simple. Bring up Firefox. Open a 2nd tab and load any page with any sort of Flash based video inside of it--play the video. While the video is playing, close the tab. Leaving Firefox up repeat this 3 times if you can using a different Flash based video in the 2nd tab, closing it while it's still playing. No matter what the results could you please post the results on this thread along with your Firefox version number and the Flash plugin version number.

What I'm trying to ascertain is this. Whenever I close a tab (or switch a single tab to another page) that's still playing a Flash based video, Firefox locks up, LMDE locks up and the system is completely unresponsive with the exception of being able to move the mouse now and then. Can't click on anything, I can just move it around now and then before it to locks up. I'm forced to power down manually and reboot. If I stop the video before I close the tab then everything is fine. The system only locks up if I close the Firefox tab while the video is still playing.

Thanks. :D

Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-430 w/1GB DDR3--running the 2.6.39-2-amd64 kernel (can't run the 3.0 kernel on this machine) and the default 280.13 Nvidia driver
Last edited by kmb42vt on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

No problem here. Firefox 6.0.2 with libflashplayer.so 10.3 r183 (a.k.a. 10.3.183.7) from Adobe's own site.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

/me hopes he didn't overstep his bounds ...
:roll:

I just want to know if my thinking is correct in how testing works and if my ideas are valid. This seemed like the correct thread to post my thoughts in. Perhaps another one would have been prudent. Thanks.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb:
- gnome testing 64bit: ff 5.0-1, flash 11.0 d1;
- xfce incoming 64bit: ff 5.0-1, flash 11.0 d1;
can not replicate that in either of the systems.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:kmb:
- gnome testing 64bit: ff 5.0-1, flash 11.0 d1;
- xfce incoming 64bit: ff 5.0-1, flash 11.0 d1;
can not replicate that in either of the systems.
Okay, many thanks zerozero and the rest. I had replaced Firefox 5.0-1 with Firefox 6.0 earlier by extracting 6.0 straight to /opt/ which replaced 5.0. Since then I've been able to update 6.0 to the latest version (6.0.2) via Firefox "Help/About" dialog box. No need to wait for the update to come through the repos. I then used the Flash Aid add-on to install the latest version of Flash (11.0 d1) and I wasn't quite sure which one was causing the problem or if it was LMDE RC itself. Turned out to be the newer Flash version that was acting up with Firefox 6.0.2. I removed Flash 11.0 d1 and reinstalled "mint-flashplugin-square" (10.3.162.29), kept Firefox 6.0.2 and all's well.

Thanks again. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

I will forevermore only post things in these feedback threads that directly relate to the update pack in question ...

cough cough ... ahem.

:wink:
Helmsdeeper

Post by Helmsdeeper »

appye wrote:Also, perhaps each new version of incoming should start out with the latest release of Debian CUT? These are supposed to be less stormy snapshots of testing. This might make for less work for the LMDE team.
Agreed.
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

yay! a response! How do you feel about my "keeping removed packages around" idea?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Found more info regarding this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p467333

It seems the newer kernels don't properly handle Intel's integrated GMA950 on some motherboards like the ECS 945GZT-M.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/820881

I'm going to forget about LMDE until this is fixed.

Edit: well, maybe not so drastic. Going back to kernel 2.6.38-2 fixes this problem. Completely. Added bonus: no more kernel panic when removing my external hd.
Kind of crazy when you think about it...
Last edited by grizzler on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Switching to incoming

I just realized I did not follow the guidelines set up by Clem at the beginning of this thread, so I cancel my post.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

OK. Now, being a little curious, I switched my repos from Latest to Incoming (exactly the three repos advised by Clem at the beginning of this thread).

This is a huge update: 458 items for 459 Mo. Before install, I've got some dire warnings in Anglo-French:

Lecture des champs des paquets... Fait 
Lecture de l'état des paquets... Fait 
Récupération des rapports de bogue... Fait  
Analyse des informations Trouvé/Corrigé... Fait  
Bogues de gravité grave sur libsoundtouch0 (1.5.0-5 -> 1.6.0-2) <transféré> 
 #635321 - memory corruption when using bpmdetect 
Bogues de gravité critical sur libc6 (2.13-7 -> 2.13-16) <marqué comme corrigé dans une version donnée> 
 #640872 - libc6: upgrade fails to mv /lib64.eglibc-new to /lib64; leaves system unusable (Corrigé : eglibc/2.13-20) 
   Réuni avec : 640896 
Bogues de gravité grave sur notification-daemon (0.5.0-3 -> 0.7.1-3) <marqué comme corrigé dans une version donnée> 
 #638721 - notification-daemon does not start automatically, missing dbus service file (Corrigé : 0.7.1-4) 
Bogues de gravité serious sur libcurl3-gnutls (7.21.6-3 -> 7.21.7-1) <marqué comme corrigé dans une version donnée> 
 #641173 - libcurl3-gnutls (optional) depends on librtmp0 (extra) (Corrigé : curl/7.21.7-3) 
Bogues de gravité serious sur libwildmidi-config (-> 0.2.3.4-2) <marqué comme corrigé dans une version donnée> 
 #636201 - libwildmidi-config: wrong package name in Replaces (Corrigé : wildmidi/0.2.3.4-2.1) 
Bogues de gravité critical sur initscripts (2.88dsf-13.10 -> 2.88dsf-13.11) <non corrigé> 
 #638341 - initscripts: Boot fails: Permission denied (Read-only file system) 
Bogues de gravité critical sur gnome-settings-daemon (2.30.2-3 -> 2.30.2-4) <non corrigé> 
 #638817 - gnome-settings-daemon crashes on startup, errors on libnotify 
Bogues de gravité serious sur vlc (1.1.10-1+b1 -> 1.1.11-2+b2) <non corrigé> 
 #640285 - vlc has no copyright information (doc directory is empty) 
Bogues de gravité serious sur mount (2.17.2-9.1 -> 2.19.1-5) <non corrigé> 
 #634107 - tries to umount /proc when told to umount /some/dir/proc without an /etc/mtab entry 
Bogues de gravité grave sur vino (2.28.2-3 -> 3.0.3-1) <signalé comme étant en cours de correction> 
 #639088 - vino-server is not autostarted even though 'Remote Desktop' is enabled 
Résumé : 
 initscripts(1 bogue), libcurl3-gnutls(1 bogue), vlc(1 bogue), libc6(1 bogue), gnome-settings-daemon(1 bogue), vino(1 bogue), libwildmidi-config(1 bogue), mount(1 bogue), notification-daemon(1 bogue), libsoundtouch0(1 bogue) 
Êtes-vous certain de vouloir installer/mettre à jour les paquets ci-dessus ? [Y/n/?/...] 
Maybe the points above have to be checked?

I said yes and went ahead. During install I read some complaints about pixbuf. After install, everything seems OK but I did not have time to check everything. I can install kernel 3.0. (either 486 or pae).

I have a new icon for Parcellite :D
I extend all my thanks to the Team for your work.

That's all about it.
Last edited by roger64 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
4Orbs

Post by 4Orbs »

My feedback:
1. Pointed my sources to only the incoming repos (Update Pack 3).
2. Ran the update manager. Downloaded and installed 409 updates (362 mb) in about 1 hour.
3. When prompted during the updates; selected to replace 1 pulseaudio file, install grub to mbr.
4. No errors or broken packages
5. Rebooted to new kernel
6. Manually installed the latest Catalyst driver for my ati HD5770 graphics card
7. Rebooted and adjusted Catalyst overscanning to fill the monitor panel
8. Noticed that playing movies, video tearing occurs slightly with Catalyst, but it didn't occur with the standard included driver (vesa?)
9. Everything else seems to work perfectly
10. Really enjoying this linuxmint 201109 xfce installation. Thank you, Mint.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

kmb42vt wrote:Whenever I close a tab (or switch a single tab to another page) that's still playing a Flash based video, Firefox locks up, LMDE locks up and the system is completely unresponsive with the exception of being able to move the mouse now and then.
I had the same behavior in google-chrome-unstable, browsing Youtube. I think it's the 64-bit Flash plugin. (FWIW, I'd also abused the system libraries, months ago, to get AIR running.)

I got all sorts of boot errors after a hard shutdown, and decided it was time for a fresh install. I'll update this post if the problem persists in the 201109 respin.

EDIT: cannot reproduce in amd64 incoming GNOME, flash plugin 11.0.1.98
asermax

Post by asermax »

For those that had the expander button issue (oddly positioned and not working very well) like me, i found out a workaround:

Create the file ".gtkrc-2.0" (if it isn't there yet) in your home directory and add this code to it

#expander fix
style "expanderfix" {
        GtkExpander::expander-size = 14
        GtkExpander::expander-spacing = 2
}

widget "*.GtkExpander" style "expanderfix"
EDIT:
when i tried to install a package from synaptics, the expander kept looking ugly and malfunctioning (not in the right position, the button wouldn't respond to clicks) , so i keep inquiring about this.
I found out that the little workaround i posted before works for some apps (e.g. GIMP) but not for others, like synaptics. So i decided to change the Mint-X-Metal gtkrc config file, reaplacing:

35                       GtkExpander::expander-size    	                = 14
36                       GtkExpander::expander_spacing                   = 16
for

35                       GtkExpander::expander-size    	                = 14
36                       GtkExpander::expander_spacing                   = 2

This resolves the problem on synaptics, but oddly enough, if i delete the .gtkrc-2.0 file of my home directory, the apps that were working alright before, stop looking like they should... again..

Summing up, if you got this little theme issue, you will have to create the personal gtk conf file with the code i posted above AND modify the gtkrc of the theme.

I will keep looking for a solution that covers all apps using just the theme config file :/

Hope it helps!
Cheers

Return to “LMDE Archive”