The Mint forum server

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SimonTS

The Mint forum server

Post by SimonTS »

I can't think where else to post this, so I'll stick it here and be damned...

Is there something going on with the server that holds forums.linuxmint.com? Recently it seems to have deteriorate massively in performance, especially evenings UK time. Sometimes it is impossible to get on, other times you have to hit refresh 5 or 6 times just to get a thread up or to post a comment.

Also, twice today I have posted a reply to someone else's thread and waited for the confirmation page so I know it has been accepted. This has duly come up correctly. 5 minutes later I have gone back to the forum to see that my reply is missing and I've had to go and stick it in there again.

I guess the biggest question is...
Is it just me?
:x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: The Mint forum server

Post by SimonTS »

Follow-up to the above... Could the issue of posts going missing be caused by the OP editing and updating his original post while I am replying to it? Would this somehow change the link within the board system so that my answer goes into a black-hole instead?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

More likely you lost your connection to the server, and when you got re-connected the server didn't know where to put/send you.
Or , the server was simply flushed and reset.

You're not alone, it's bad here in Canada too.

regards, richy :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Quite awful here, too. Sometimes it's working fine, but then it's back to clicking on something and sitting here waiting.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It does seem to deteriorate as the day goes on but I have noticed one other peculiarity. I can maneuver around and select different topics a lot faster if I'm not logged in than when I am.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

The Mint forums as well as the site itself have had a lot of issues like this for a while. I thought it was the spike in users and demand as Mint grows faster than the resources can scale to serve us all. They did move servers a while back to address this, it maybe that it needs looked at again. I've found it slow at times too, but nothing like what it used to be.
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

ThistleWeb wrote:I thought it was the spike in users and demand as Mint grows faster than the resources can scale to serve us all.
I thought the same thing until I checked the number of users on-line shown at the main Index page. This number does not seem to have increased much, if at all, recently.

Also, as the majority of users are (or should be) asleep during most of my browsing time you'd think it shouldn't be an issue. But I do seem to have the same problems as the OP.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

My guess is that some of the problems we're experiencing are probably caused by the forum being located on a "shared server". Depending upon the hosting service and the safeguards in place for application load, we may be at the mercy of some other non-Mint sites. I know from experience that my site doesn't get the heavy traffic of say Mint Forums, and at times the response is pretty laggy (from other sites hosted on the same server).

Just my educated guess... 8)

-DataMan
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I emailed Clem and told him the server is causing trouble again
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Sorry to drag up this old thread but it seems appropriate.

I'm still experiencing the same problem - some forum pages are taking an exceptionally long time to load. Is it just me or are others still having similar issues?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Not just you odo
Slowed down again here as well :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yeah, it has slowed down again. It is not as bad as before, and sometimes it is fast but a minute later it is slow again. For a while it was super fast, it isn't anymore. I think address it to Clem as he fixed things for this last time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's somewhat slow here occasionally, though it has been much worse.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Oh no... it's not a shared server :) It's a top of the range dedicated server, with a huge amount of resources and bandwidth. What we're seeing here is another raise in the user base I'm afraid...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Hopefully it'll also cause the donations to raise.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well yes, it's not a bad problem to have is it? :) Nonetheless, it creates a challenge and we'll need to optimize our code or the server's configuration again.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”