A app. to su in the GUI?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edward1978

A app. to su in the GUI?

Post by edward1978 »

Is there 1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: A app. to su in the GUI?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Yes. the command is gksudo for sudo and gksu for su.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you are a KDE user you can use kdesu instead.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
edward1978

Post by edward1978 »

I want to beable to change a file to executable in the GUI.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Right-click a file -> Properties, in the permissions tab check executable.
edward1978

Post by edward1978 »

proxima_centauri wrote:Right-click a file -> Properties, in the permissions tab check executable.
I do, but it umchecks right after I do it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

NTFS and FAT filesystems can't save the Linux permissions. You can mount them with the exec.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I want to beable to change a file to executable in the GUI.
edward1978 wrote:
proxima_centauri wrote:Right-click a file -> Properties, in the permissions tab check executable.
I do, but it umchecks right after I do it.
Is this a Wine related question by any chance. If it is then here's how to fix it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p402625
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The problem is not Wine related, though it may seem to be Wine-related as Windows programs tend to be on an NTFS or FAT filesystem. The real problem are those filesystems, that don't accept the execute flag of the Linux permission system.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The problem is not Wine related
We don't know that. It depends on why he feels the need to set the file as executable.

If he is trying to run a Windows *.exe file in Wine then he will receive an error message that it won't run because it's not marked executable. But Wine itself doesn't care and cannot determine if a Windows file has a Linux executable bit set. The solution specific for Wine is to change the file association to bypass something called cautious-launcher which my link details.

If this was originally a linux file that's now on an ntfs or fat32 partition that he needs to make executable then that's another matter. He will need to configure mounting parameters in fstab that will enable a "view" of those windows partitions that make it appear to have files possessing the enabled execute bit.

My post was not intended to contradict your post. It was to offer a solution based on why he needs to set that specific file executable. There is no need to set all ntfs files as executable if the only reason is for Wine use.

Also, based on his description of the problem we are both assuming that he he's trying to do this on a Windows filesystem since it fits the symptoms. It could be that he's trying to do this to a file on a CDROM.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If I put a CD-ROM into my laptop, all files on it become executable. Linux executables and .exe files. Don't know why this wouldn't happen at other people.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I just brunt a part of my home directory to a CDROM and then inseterted it back to the drive.

All directories are mode = 500
All files are mode = 400

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”