installing LMDE via usb

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Shadow20

installing LMDE via usb

Post by Shadow20 »

hello, what can i use to install LMDE by usb ?
I tried unetbootin but it didn't work i just got some hard disk failure i think.

Extremely sorry if this was clarified before :oops:

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: installing LMDE via usb

Post by AlbertP »

If you can get access to a Windows computer, you can use Universal USB Installer to put Mint Debian on USB.
It does not run in Wine.

Do not forget to format the USB stick in that program, else it'll leave traces of Unetbootin behind.

P.S. Please put Persistent Storage to 0. This feature doesn't work right on Debian-based systems.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Shadow20

Post by Shadow20 »

Thank you very much
yes i am dual booting so i can use that program

thanks again
Napi2003

Post by Napi2003 »

Don't bother installing LMDE via USB ...yet. I've had tons of troubles getting the Live USB just to boot and it's impossible to select the install now option, because the installer hangs on a Catch-22 dilemma: It asks for a root-level passowrd (which is not set or provided to the public), and in order to fix that you need to set root's password, and that only works if the sudo command could elevate the access rights. In short, don't bother. Someone else also confirmed that "Debian-based USB installs have problems". LMDE is short for Linux Mind DEBIAN-based.
backer

Post by backer »

Napi2003 wrote:Don't bother installing LMDE via USB ...yet. I've had tons of troubles getting the Live USB just to boot and it's impossible to select the install now option, because the installer hangs on a Catch-22 dilemma: It asks for a root-level passowrd (which is not set or provided to the public), and in order to fix that you need to set root's password, and that only works if the sudo command could elevate the access rights. In short, don't bother. Someone else also confirmed that "Debian-based USB installs have problems". LMDE is short for Linux Mind DEBIAN-based.
Yesterday I successfully made a bootable USB with LMDE without any pain. I just used UNetbootin and everything went just fine. I was able to install several instances of LMDE without any described issues.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

backer wrote:
Napi2003 wrote:Don't bother installing LMDE via USB ...yet. I've had tons of troubles getting the Live USB just to boot and it's impossible to select the install now option, because the installer hangs on a Catch-22 dilemma: It asks for a root-level passowrd (which is not set or provided to the public), and in order to fix that you need to set root's password, and that only works if the sudo command could elevate the access rights. In short, don't bother. Someone else also confirmed that "Debian-based USB installs have problems". LMDE is short for Linux Mind DEBIAN-based.
Yesterday I successfully made a bootable USB with LMDE without any pain. I just used UNetbootin and everything went just fine. I was able to install several instances of LMDE without any described issues.
Now, I wouldn't advise everybody to not do it because of a specific problem. I've installed LMDE (both 32 and 64 bit) on two separate machines and it has been flawless.

Return to “LMDE Archive”