Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iteration

Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE

Post by iteration »

I recently updated my 7 year old Pentium 4 dual core laptop from Mint 9 to Mint 11 (gnome), backing up my /home directory and restoring it. Is there anything different required to switch now to LMDE (gnome) now that the latest version boots on this old beast?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

You'll have to download the latest LMDE iso. There is no upgrade path from Ubuntu-based Mint to LMDE.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Re: Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE

Post by zerozero »

i would add that if you are keeping the same home, better create a different username, the conf. files between 2 so different releases might cause some strange behaviours.
iteration

Re: Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE (solv

Post by iteration »

Thanks. I have the ISO and have tested the live version, but just wondered if the /home/user folder would fit as is. Seems like maybe not, so I'll go ahead w/o it and just add documents, etc., to the new home.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Switching from 32 bit Mint11 Ubuntu to 32 bit LMDE (solv

Post by tdockery97 »

iteration wrote:Thanks. I have the ISO and have tested the live version, but just wondered if the /home/user folder would fit as is. Seems like maybe not, so I'll go ahead w/o it and just add documents, etc., to the new home.
That's what I do. Takes no more than about 5-10 minutes to copy all my documents, wallpapers, pictures, videos, music, and extra stuff from one partition to the other, or from a DVD if that's where you put them.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “LMDE Archive”